Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed all new wire harnesses in my 68 since the old ones were hacked to bits and at some point there had been a major electrical melt down in the car.

When I installed the new harnesses, one pesky problem turned up and I haven't been able to figure out what causes it.

I turn on the headlamps, and the tail lamp fuse will blow.

One by one, I've disconnected the various major harnesses from the bulkhead and fuse box, and the only time the fuse does not blow, is if I disconnect the forward light harness. It still blows when I disconnect any other main harness. I've removed the Dash harness and sent it back to the manufacturer to be checked, and they found nothing wrong with it. I've reinstalled it and the problem persists. The forward light harness is next if I can't figure this out.

One crazy thing I did, was the forward light harness came without any of that black goupe in the bulkhead connector :confused: , so I went and put in battery terminal grease before I really thought about what the effect of dielectric grease would be. I cleaned most of it out, but wonder if it is the root of the evil I am facing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
523 Posts
The problem is most likely associated with the front running lights.
Take the bulbs out and disconnect the sockets from the frame one at a time. See if that stops it.
Disconnect the ground wires on the forward lamp harness to the core support. See if that stops it.
If both of those things don’t stop it, pull the connector loose from the bulkhead. Leave the other wires disconnected. Measure from the running light wire inside the lamp socket to a good ground. You should see an open with the meter. Guessing it might be a pinched wire inside one of the front running light sockets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts