Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 camaro. The right turn signal wont work, so I am replacing the turn signal assembly. I have the steering wheel pulled off. Can I fish the old wiring harness and plug out of the steering column and fish the new one back in? Or do I need to take the steering column apart and run the wiring down the column. Any help would be appreciated. Are there any tricks to fishing the plug and wires? Thanks.

·
15,370 Posts
I think you can get away with pulling the harness out without disassembling TOO much.

I'm trying to remember exactly what's involved..... I've done the same thing a few times on mine.

Once everything is loose and the connector is disconnected, you'll need to turn the flat, black connector sideways to get it to fit up through the column. Then reverse the process to get it back down through. I'm sure there's a little more to it but you shouldn't have too much trouble.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
What are you doing with the old assembly? I need a few small parts for my hazard switch (part of the assmbly) to work. Right now, it only flashes the front lights...

I would be interested in seeing if I can pull some parts off it if you don't have plans for it...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You will need to remove the locking plate and flasher knob etc. You will be able to slide the connector through the clearance in the tube up from the bottom.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

It turned out to be easier that I thought. It had a sleeve that all the wires rested in and then I folded over the plug and fished it down through the steering column. Thanks for all your responses.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If anybody needs to disassemble and repair your 1969 or later standard (non-adjustable) or your tilt steering columns, you might find a series of papers and pictures that I posted to be quite helpful. They are posted at the following websight location: www.corvettefaq.com/A-car.asp

All of the GM (Saginaw) steering columns were very similar back in that era. So the A-car info is very applicable to the F-car.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice! Thx....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts