Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left turn-signal dash light (arrow) has decided to stay on even when not using that blinker. It flashes correctly when I do use that blinker, and the tail lights blink properly as well. Even though the dash light stays on, the tail lights on that side do not stay in the brighter "on" position. Where should I look first to try and figure out why this is staying on? Thank you in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Does the dash T/S indicator only glow with the parking/headlights on? Like Chris said, check for a bad ground. But, the ground problem is probably at the left parking light. The dash T/S indicators are tied into the parking lights. When there is no ground at the parking light socket, current flows from the light switch, through the parking light filament, through the T/S filament, then through the dash T/S indicator to the ground on the dash.

Larry

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that you guys mention it, I noticed the other night while the car was idling in the driveway that the front parking light on that side was out. I tapped on the glass and it came on. Since then I've been meaning to look at it. Sounds like this issue is connected (literally) to the T/S light.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just thought I'd resurrect this bad boy instead of making my own. I have the same issue here with my Dad's Camaro. His left turn signal indicator stays lit in the dash when I turn the lights on, and only the passenger side parking light is on with the lights on. After reading some of the previous threads including this one it's a ground issue I'm guessing? I have taken a wire wheel off a drill and redone some grounds I've seen near the headlights and one by itself in the front somewhere and has had no effect. I see that there is a ground in the middle of the back of the trunk near the key hole but it's too far down, and very awkward to get to because of our wiring and shut off switch real close. Are there any other things I should check? I don't know what the headlight switch looks like either. There is a switch or something on the back end of the steering column that has no connectors on it but 2 terminals just sitting there by their lonesome...lol What is that?

Forgot to mention, we just replaced the connectors and bulbs with some cheap ones from autozone. That hasn't changed anything either.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Probably the same fix here; bad ground on the left parking light. Could be the bulb base not making good contact with the socket or the socket is not grounded in the parking light assembly.

There's a problem with this scenario, however; even without a ground, when you turn on the parking lights, current flows through both the parking filament and T/S filament causing just the parking filament to illuminate. If any of these filaments are burned out, there's no longer a current path back to the T/S indicator.

Are we still saying the passenger parking light is the only one lit? The driver's side should be lit if the dash T/S indicator lights also.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just read on another thread, and also same thing as you mentioned. Are the turn signals actually grounded by themselves, the base touching the aluminum plate thing it mounts into? Because we have silicone, in our new bulb connectors to hold it to the plate, so if it's supposed to be grounded that way, I believe ours isn't because it's filled with silicone? lol

Could that be the problem? We have silicone holding in the passenger side too, but I don't think as much, so maybe there's a slight chance that one is being grounded?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
On the lone connector, are the wires purple and purple/white?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Because we have silicone, in our new bulb connectors to hold it to the plate, so if it's supposed to be grounded that way, I believe ours isn't because it's filled with silicone?
Grab a jumper wire and touch one end to the bulb's base and the other to a good ground. That will bypass any silicone issues.

·
Registered
236 Posts
that lone connector or switch, whatever it is, that's on the steering column closest to the firewall, has no wires to it, and no purple, or striped wires near-by also.

andddd I can do that with the jumper wire here in a minute or 2...gotta eat! :) appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
that lone connector or switch, whatever it is, that's on the steering column closest to the firewall, has no wires to it, and no purple, or striped wires near-by also.
Oh, you must be talking about the neutral safety/backup lights switch.

·
Registered
236 Posts
actually, that might be it...it does look kinda like that but we already have by the shifter? btw our back up lights dont work i don't think but we do have different taillights on it now which i don't think have backup lights in the actual taillights...i don't remember without looking..lol

i haven't done the jumper wire yet either we've been out driving around making sure we got all the kinks out on other bs, motor, electric fan and what not...i'll get to it though promise!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts