Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a few posts about turn signal canceling problems. I have a 68 coupe with PS. From what I've seen it may be the turn signal cancel cam is bad. How much tear down of the Steering column is needed to get to and replace this part. I'm just trying to get a good idea of the steps required and what I need to look out for.

Thanks
Ray

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
It's actually not the cancelling cam, but rather the moveable part of the switch, the part the handle attaches to. There are lil tabs that break off. They make kits to repair it, the instructions are translated from chinese and kinda hard to follow, but at least they are there.

Not much disassembly, you don't even have to take the switch off the column, just pull the steering wheel.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JimM and ORENCH

I have pulled out the service manual and have been reading on pulling the steering wheel. It states I need to disconnect the wire harness at the bottom of the column and then pop the horn button off ( I have a center round horn button). Then unbolt the center bolt and unscrew the remaining components. It did not state you need a Steering Wheel puller. Does the wheel come off that easy?

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You will need a puller. Most automotive stores will loan out simple tools like a puller. Don't try to pound or "shock" the steering wheel hub off of the column shaft.

If I remember correctly, there were two types of turn signal switches. One type used the two small circular springs described above. Sometimes one of them just gets dislodged. I am sure that you can purchase loose springs at most automotive stores.

The other type of turn signal switch did not use small springs but had little molded plastic arms that provided the cancelling feature. Those little arms were part of a molded part where the turn signal lever screwed into. I am quite sure that you can just purchase that part at automotive stores. You will need to pull the switch out of the column in order to replace the broken part with the replacement.

Here is a link to a paper on pulling the turn signal switch from the steeirng column.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/67-68A&FStdColumnD&R1-31JA06.doc

JIML82

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
reviving a thread from the dead,

anyone know where i can get these springs?
Missing the bottom one.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Perfect Parts sells those springs in a small blister pack or at least they used to .We sold them for a dollar fortynine . You might also try Motor Mite or Dorman . Places like A/Z or AdV wont have them you need to go to an old Auto Parts Jobber if you have one in your area. There are fewer and fewer independant parts jobbers these days. Alex

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts