Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I recently bought a 67 that is in great shape. My question is this. Occasionally when I turn on either turn signal, both front turn signals come on without flashing. It doesn't happen all the time but probably 75% or so. The horn also occasionally honks when you turn the wheel but usually only when the lights are acting up. I have not found 1 single wire anywhere in the car cut so I lean towards the turn signal switch. Also, it does feel a little weird when you flip it. What do you think?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Hello

I recently bought a 67 that is in great shape. My question is this. Occasionally when I turn on either turn signal, both front turn signals come on without flashing. It doesn't happen all the time but probably 75% or so. The horn also occasionally honks when you turn the wheel but usually only when the lights are acting up. I have not found 1 single wire anywhere in the car cut so I lean towards the turn signal switch. Also, it does feel a little weird when you flip it. What do you think?

Thanks
Bill
Check for proper grounds,especially on the turn signals as they will do weird things like what you described if not properly grounded. The horn could be a little more complicated as the problem could be a number of things like a faulty ground or horn relay or the problem could be in the horn contact portion of the steeering column itself. I would check for faulty grounds first, if that's not the problem, start at the horn relay and work your way "back" through the circuit to the horn contacts on the steering wheel. Good Luck and let us know what you found.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What are the back signals doing when both the front signals light up solid like that?

The horn coming on when you turn the wheel... sounds like something funny is going on in the steering column with the horn button contacts. If so there might also be issues with the signal switch/canceling mechanism.

First rule in electrical troubleshooting... check all your grounds. if the taillight bulb sockets are loose in the housing, the metal tabs that hold them in and provide grounding might not be making good contact with the housing, you can try bending the tabs so they hold the socket tighter against the taillight housing. The front signals have ground wires coming off them. you can connect one lead of a multimeter or test light to the positive terminal of your battery and the other lead to the terminal at the end of the signal ground wire. If you show ~12V or a lit up test light, ground is good. If not, touch that lead to some exposed metal near it, if you show a good ground, you've isolated the grounding issue to that signal's ground wire. A star washer under the terminal can help cut through the paint/crud and get good metal contact.

Another quick thing to try is swapping the hazard and turn signal relays next time your lights are doing funny things and see if that fixes the problem.

when i get home tonight i'll pull out the wiring diagram and do some head scratching. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not 100% sure. I work all weekend but I will check as soon as possible and get back to you. Thanks again for the ideas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to say thank you again for the suggestions. I finally found time to troubleshoot my 67 and determined that it is the turn signal switch. I did check all the grounding as suggested and it all tested fine. I discovered if you wiggle the turn signal lever front to back it made a crunching sound and started working correctly until I turned the wheel about a quarter turn. Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts