Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes a 40 acre field to turn my '69 around. Seriously, I cant turn into a normal parking space without backing up. Do I have mis-matched parts, or is there something else going on here.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
There are a few things that are easy to check. Just put the front end up enough so the tires clear the ground.

1. Center the tires so they're pointing straight ahead. Turn the wheel all the way to the left and count the revolutions. Turn it back to center, then all the way to the right counting the revolutions. Is it the same number of turns to go left or right?

2. Look under the car while someone is turning the wheel from lock to lock. Is the pitman arm or idler arm hitting anything like the headers or frame? Is the center link hitting the oil pan sump?

3. If it is the same number of turns from center to left and center to right and nothing is contacting anywhere, the box was likely changed at some time and has the wrong internal stops.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Also check that when you turn the wheel all the way to the lock that the steering arms are hitting the stops on the lower control arm. If not you are not getting as much steering angle at the wheels as you should.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts