Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Towards the end of last year there was a post about grille colors for SS cars and what color they should be:
Grille Color?
As you can read I posted that I disagreed with the color of the grille that CRG.org chart stated for Tuxedo black cars here: http://www.camaros.org/exterior.shtml. My personal opinion was that their statement about the silver grilles on Black SS or RS/SS cars is not correct from what I have seen. I also agree that they are experts on this stuff but I still disagree with their blanket statement.
Well finally after digging around I finally found some possible proof at least for 69 RS/SS cars. Here is an ad from 1969 of a 69 RS/SS 396 in Tuxedo Black with a Black grille:
AD-69 RS/SS 396
While an ad is not definitive proof it leaves room for debate on their blanket statement. I have posed the question to them about the grille issue and will let you know of their response. I would also like to hear from any owners here that have Unrestored SS or RS/SS tuxedo black cars and their grille color. Thanks

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427
)
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 01-13-2003).]

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I think you'll find that the car in that ad is a Fathom Green car, not black. Fathom green appears almost black in certain lighting conditions. The valance panel and front edge of the hood looks like it has a green tint to it instead of being pure black. If the interior is black (can't tell from the picture) a black on black car would have had a Red stripe, not a white one like this picture has.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3652/1969/69rsss21.jpg

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 01-13-2003).]

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,

I guess you caught the rally green before I could
Okay but then your pic also shows my point Black RS/SS with black grille. Where did you get the info about the stripe having to be red? Thanks for responding.

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 :D )
My Chevs

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Yes, I can't keep my greens straight. I've seen pictures of Rally Green looking black as well. For example Pete Este's 68 Z28 Convertible looks black under certain lighting and lousy camera angles.

The Black car/Black interior, Red stripe is off of the exterior color coding table on the CRG web site, Note 6.
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#ExteriorColors

Although that picture makes the grille look black I couldn't tell what color that cars grille was, either my monitor was to dark of the picture itself is to dark.

The problem is that while originally there were two part numbers for each of the standard and RS grilles (look in your AIM) one for black and one for silver, GM discontinued the silver one in the early 70's, so anyone replacing a grille since then has been installing a black grille. Unless they had them painted silver when they were replaced it is hard to tell which cars came with which color grille. If anyone has a Tuxedo black car with an original unmolested black grille I'd like to see it.

BTW, I'm the one who that the "Ask CRG" questions get's forwarded to, as yours did this morning.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark. My car is a tuxedo black car but as it has been painted at least 3 times so I wouldn't guarantee the grille is original on mine(it is black though). I was hoping that someone out there would have an all original black SS or RS/SS to show us. In all actuality I have only seen one black 69 SS or RS/SS with a Silver grille and that was on a fully restored car here on this site. Thanks for answering my question about the striping too

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427
)
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 01-13-2003).]

G

·
I have been told throught the years that all Black RS equped cars got the silver grill. If it was a BB car the Semi gloss rear panel and rockers was deleted as with the pace cars. Black RS cars are rare, I would bet there probably wasn't a huge stockpile of silver RS grills. could a few black RS cars have slipped out the door with black grills? Were the silver RS grills moulded from the white plastic like the standard grills? Good topic I will be looking to see what others have to say.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I could not help but to reply to this post, since it was me who got it started. My intent was to determine what color the grill in my "SS" clone car should be. The car will be the original Fathom Green. The original car (sport coupe, 307 3-speed X-11, console equiped, vinyl top car) had a silver grill. The reason I'm sure about this is because I purchased the car late 1971 ( between christmas and the new year, 18 years old).
All the drive tran has been changed (1974) to 1970 LT-1, Muncie M-21, console gauges added (2003), factory tach added ( 2003).
The new rear quarters are on the car and primed in.
Should the grill on a Fathom Green "SS" car be black or silver?

Should I put the vinyl top back on? The restorer will paint the entire top body color before the new vinyl top goes on.

Hope to get pictures of the before and after soon.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bassman:
Should the grill on a Fathom Green "SS" car be black or silver?

Should I put the vinyl top back on?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
According to CRG: Black.
AS for the vinyl top do what you want

So nobody here owns a 69 Tuxedo Black SS or RS/SS?(unrestored, original owner?)

------------------
Jeff
My Chevs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Saturday I bought a "RS" car. The car has the original #s matching 327, all the factory A/C, column shifted power glide. The car had a vinyl top. The top is not in that great shape. Guess it was not painted from the factory or was not taken care of in the past.

Hope to restore this car to original #s matching car. All the parts are there.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jeff,

Just my opinion: I would think that a Tuxedo Black '69 RS/SS would have a silver grill just like an '69 RS-Z/28 (which has been discussed to death here and I think the consensus was '69 Tuxedo Black RS = silver grill) I am not sure about a Tuxedo Black SS (non-RS). It is a good question though my guess would be black as I thought all SS's had black grills.

Also to clear up the picture of the green car looking black, Fathom Green is the dark green that could be mistaken for black, Rally Green is bright "lime" green that would never be mistaken for black.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302 & M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood. Pics

2002 SS: 35th Anniversary coupe, 6 spd, all GM options plus additional SLP options: 345 hp package, floor and rear hatch mats. Pics

'69 RS-Z/28, 58K miles, all numbers match, POP & Build Sheet, in a barn since 1975. Currently starting restoration. Pics

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I think there is little debate about non-SS cars (plain Jane, Z/28, COPO) They all got Argent grilles. The debate is about SS cars, which got black grilles. The question is whether Black (and some include Fathom Green) cars got silver, or black grilles.

I don't know the answer, I just wanted to clear up the question.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the clarification unreal.
Until someone shows me a pic of an original RS/SS or an SS in tuxedo black I disagree. My reason for asking is that I think since the SS option dominant over the RS option the grille would follow the SS option and would be black. Z/28 was not the same. It actually was identified as an RS on the exterior and the grille followed the RS option package and would be silver. So far all I have seen is Z28's with the silver grille but no Super Sports. I sure would like to see a Black SS like that low mile Z to disprove my opinion. Restored cars don't count because of the limited supply of the Silver RS grille as mentioned by Mark.
Can anyone say they have ever seen an original 69 SS or RS/S in Tuxedo Black with a silver grille?

Thanks for discussing this so far.

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427
)
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 01-14-2003).]

·
Registered
316 Posts
Every original black rs I have seen has had a silver grill. I own a black rs/z and I purchased it from the second owner who purchased it in 1973. I also inspected a 7k mile rs/z with original paint and owner and the car was delivered with a silver grill. I am not sure what proof you need, but two color rs grills were manufactured silver and black. The silver grills were molded in light grey and painted silver.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shaugs:
Every original black rs I have seen has had a silver grill. I own a black rs/z and I purchased it from the second owner who purchased it in 1973. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not arguing against the silver grille on RS cars or RS/Zs. Were the 2 RS cars you saw Super Sports? Show me a pic of a of an original RS/SS or SS in Tuxedo Black with a silver grille.
Z28 Owners quit replying

------------------
Jeff
My Chevs

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Having grown up in the 60's I saw plenty of 69 Camaros in all colors. All of them other than SS had silver grilles. Z28s and COPOs also had the silver grilles. All SSs had black grilles. This was part of the distinguishing bodywork for SS cars. Some people liked it, others didn't.

Peter

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pic is of a Z28.

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427
)
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 01-15-2003).]

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the notify turned on that hits my email that is connected to my pager so my notify is quick.

------------------
Jeff
My Chevs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts