Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm putting "correct" battery cables on and the negative has a pigtail that needs to be grounded someplace. Does anyone know where the correct location is for this?

Also I noticed a grounding stud on the back of my alternator. Does that need to be grounded someplace?
Thanks in advance,
Doug

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Oh Oh Oh - I know, I know :D

The pig-tail goes to the right fender, it attaches to the reinforcement part of the fender a few inches to the rear of the plane of the battery case.
There should be a hole there, but I've seen more than one fender without one.
If there is a connector already attached, cut it off and put a large ring terminal on it and then use a 'Star' type lock-washer under the terminal and a self-tapping cap screw to fasten it.

There is no dedicated ground wire from the factory to the back of the Alternator.
The alternator grounds though the mounts to the engine block, which is grounded to the battery via the cable. On some post 68 models (w/alternator on the passenger side) the large ground wire attaches to the alternator upper mount bracket.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
A 3/16" hex head screw and star washer holds it to the inner painted edge of the fender. My fenders are off or I would send a picture. It is shown in the assembly manual page 162.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
This is the only pic I have of that ground. As mentioned before, its the star-washered ground on the fender reinforcement:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that helps. Getting these cars "correct original" seems to never end, but I do enjoy it. :eek:

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts