Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of installing a multi-leaf 8.5" 10-bolt from a '74 Nova into my '69. Picked up some repro "multi-leaf" lower shock plates from NPD and (as some others have reported) the angle of the shock mount eye seems wrong (not bent enough) and the U-bolt holes in the plate don't quite match the holes in the multi-leaf perches on the rear.

So now I'm thinking of returning the NPD plates and ordering the DSE plates like I should have originally.

But, If possible, I'd like to verify that my rear isn't "special" for some reason before I order.
Can anyone with another multi-leaf rear (ideally an 8.5") OR with DSE "stock type" lower shock plates measure the center-to-center distance for the U-bolt holes?

For reference, my 8.5" seems to be about 4+1/8" between the holes.
My old 8.2" mono-leaf rear and plates are ~3+7/8"
The NPD multi-leaf plates are maybe 3 15/16"? (They are apparently supplied by "Hugger Performance Specialty Muscle Car Products" K00040-R)
(Everything is ~3.5" across the "U" of the U-bolts, these measurements are the distance between the hols along the axle)

Thanks!
-T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
I can only comment that most u bolts are a little off from each other you can tweak them to fit.." I put new leafs on my first car" NOVA .. , but that was 147 cars ago,, Im new to first gens so I will not comment on anything else :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my DSE plates came in today and they are also ~3+7/8" between the holes, so I'm guessing either my multi-leaf rear is "special" or the leaf mounts spread somehow (?)

On the up-side, NPD took back the old plates without issues (I mentioned fitment was poor with respect to shock angle; I'm not sure they were terribly excited by that) and the DSE plates have the "tabs" at the correct angle for the shocks (as mentioned by others).

I had picked up some 7/16" (stock-size) U-bolts that I had planned on using, but if I'm going to have to go crazy with the dremel anyway, maybe I'll use the mega-size 1/2" jobs from Hotchkis...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
I just put an 8.5 out of a Nova in my 67 and used the Hotchkis U bolts. I re-used the 67 single leaf shock plates so I did not have to deal with shock location. The shock plates were just a bit off from the holes on the 8.5. Since I had to enlarge the holes anyhow for the Hotchkis U bolts, I opened up the shock plates a bit more to help get the alignment better. The U bolts are still slightly angled inward at the bottom to go thru the plates. I have put about 500 miles on it and no problems. I'm going to re-check the Nuts this weekend to be sure they are still tight. I probably could have opened up the plates a bit more, there was plenty of material left. If I ever take it apart for any reason, I will do that. I used a step drill bit that worked pretty well.
Scott
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top