Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these on my 69 Z28,I know they wired too directional lights and box in rear window has know wires too it.Are vigilite lamps on front fenders suppost light up when useing turn singals?Are they rare?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yes you should see a light for head lights and one for the parking lamps. The fiber enters the parking lamps at the top of the rear housing where the electrical cable enters, there is a port on top side for the fiber connection. It is possible your parking lamps were replaced with non U46 versions or the fiber was removed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
U46 Vigilite Lamp Monitors

I have them on my 1969 Z28 are they rare and how do they work?My are wired but nothing light up when i use my turn singals.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I merged your duplicate thread to the correct forum.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Should look like this with the port open

Attachments

·
Retired
26,697 Posts
Steve - your fiber system should monitor the headlights (small blue lens on fender monitor) and running/turn signal (larger white lens) in the front, the third lens is not used... In the back the running and brake (lights up brighter for brake) and license plate are monitored.

For your turn signals - open the hood and look down at the running light housings. The fiber installs right on the top of each housing with grommets that hold the fiber in place.

·
Retired
26,697 Posts
So nothing you can do about the rear until you get all the fiber with proper ferrules and lenses to hook things back up...

In the front if your lights all work and all the fiber is in place there is either a break in the fiber inside the casing or there are pieces missing on the ends of the fibers.

·
Retired
26,697 Posts
The running lights are a 3 piece assembly comprised of a lens, a rubber plug that holds the lens and fits into the socket (hole in the top of the housing see Brian's photo above) and a boot that snaps over the whole assembly after the fiber w/ferrule is in place.

On the fender end there is a ferrule and a plastic lens pushed into a rubber block under the chrome bezel.

Same for the headlight under the chrome bezel but at the headlight there is a ferrule that pokes into the back of the plug for each headlight and a rubber tube like piece that fits on the back of each bulb between the 3 connectors.

That's about it...

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yeah sounds like the fiber - what you are calling wires - has been disconnected or worse removed in the rear of the vehicle. A better grade of fiber is available these days so you can update it, or pay a fortune for the first generation originals when You see them.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Here's a picture of the fiber connector on one of my parking/turn signal lights, like the one Brian posted earlier:

·
Retired
26,697 Posts
What you see in Tim's picture is the amber lens that turns the light passed through the fiber to the fender bezel amber and the plug that holds it in place in the lamp housing. Missing is the fiber with metal ferrule and the boot that goes over the assembly you see in the picture.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
If you have a '69 AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual), there should be a section in there for Option U46 showing all the parts and how they go together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts