Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've managed to get my headlight harness from from this:

To this:

I'm feeling good about it. Got everything organized, made small repairs and I'm ready for reinstall... Until I'm looking at the schematic (p177 for 69 AIM), and I realize that the second to left 20 gauge black wire in the diagram is supposed to connect to the voltage regulator. Well, guess what: I can't find a voltage regulator anywhere! PO had that 20g black wire that comes off the driver's side headlight grounded, as the diagram indicates it should be, but there's no voltage regulator connected to that same ground.

Diagram indicates there should be a white and dark blue 16g coming off the AC gen -- same as AC compressor? -- to the voltage regulator. I have after market Gen IV air, and there's only one wire coming off of there, which is blue, and it connects to the binary safety switch.

Also, the 16g brown that comes off the voltage regulator and runs to the connector has been capped off, and is just dangling there, attached to nothing.

All that said, I do have this, which, before I disconnected everything, had the red 14g wire coming off of the + terminal on the battery:
. Is this some kind of substitute for a volt reg?

After all that, I guess my question is: do I need to go get a volt regulator, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The alternator was most likely replaced with an internally regulated model at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alternator was most likely replaced with an internally regulated model at some point.
Aaaahhh. Didn't realize there was such an animal. That has to be it, b/c PO installed march serpentine set up with alternator and a/c.

Thanks, Steiner!

·
19,864 Posts
In your pic...next to the horn relay...you'll see a screw hole with a rusty circle. Thats where it was.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In your pic...next to the horn relay...you'll see a screw hole with a rusty circle. Thats where it was.
Good to know! Incidentally, there are a LOT of random holes that now hold nothing... Lord knows what all is missing. Everything runs correctly, as far as I know anyway, so ostensibly nothing vital is missing.

Since this thread is about wiring: what do y'all think about how to finish protecting my wiring? I have it all wrapped up in the black athletic tape (it's not touching any metal or actual wires), but should I put that cheapo, accordion-looking plastic wrap back on it? It looks just god awful, but if I really need it, I guess I'll put it back on... Hopefully I won't see any of it anyway by the time I'm done tucking everything away in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
They make this stuff called "loom wrap" or something like that. It's kinda like black electrician's tape but w/o the sticky stuff. That's how GM did it back in the day. Me, I just use black elec tape and call it good enough for who it's for. It works fine until you have to unwrap it....then you have a sticky mess, but it cleans off easy enough.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I remember reading about the tape now, just wasn't sure if it needed the loom -- wasn't positive that's what it was called, thanks! -- over it as well.

I think someone said the no-stick "tape" is around $9 a roll? Then, I think JimM posted that you can use the black athletic tape and it looks the exact same as what they used at the factory. It was $1.50 a roll at the sports store and it's really easy to work with (and remove, over and over and over when you screw up like I did).

I think if I can get everything cinched away enough, I'll put the loom back over the tape, just for reinforced protection, I guess. I'm sure the loom holds up much better than the tape, over time.

·
15,370 Posts
One mistake people make when they use the split-loom stuff is they use too big of a diameter. It comes in every conceivable size. I used the smallest diameter I could get around the size of wires I was protecting, and used it very sparingly. Sometimes you can't get to a harness or wires well enough to put the tape on them, so the split-loom works great. Just don't use colored stuff! That's so 80's! ;)
I bought a roll of the factory harness tape and it's supposed to be enough for 2 complete cars. I believe it because I've used a lot of it already and have half a roll left. It's stronger than you think too, and it's nice and shiny.

The core support has all kinds of holes in it... most of which I have no idea what they're there for. I've got tons of unused holes in mine after putting everything on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts