Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy my interior kit and I was wondering how difficult it is to assemble the door and rear panels. What are the differences between the two, and are the unassembled easy enough for me to put together. I have the original panels so I have all the metal pieces, but I am not sure how easy it is to install these on new panels. Is it worth the extra $250 bucks for the assembled? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I've never seen a set of finsihed panels, so I can't speak to assembly quality. Some assembled pieces use plastic top caps. I'd double check, if you plan to go that route. You can sell your original caps for at least $50, so factor that in. Also they include the inside fuzzies, so factor that in.

Have you seen the "Gold Edition" panels from PUI? They're significantly better than the cheaper ones, in my opinion. You can get them from Ricks, or directly from PUI. You cannot get complete Gold Edition panels from Ricks, but you can buy them from PUI (Don't know why Ricks doesn't offer them)

I did Gold Editions for mine, and believe me, it takes a lot of time. I may have overdone it, but removed the pin from pop rivets and pounded each one flat using a grommet tool. Used 98 rivets total!! Then I filled the joint where the cap overlaps the cardboard panel, and sanded smooth. Fitted the vinyl over the cap, and installed the fuzzies with home made stainless staples. You have to drill each one, stick the staple through, and bend it over on the back. I used NOS fuzzies, so pre-finsihed panels was not an option. I bet I have 30 hours in the whole project.

Of course, the week after I finished the panels I got a set of pristine originals which were stripped from a car in 1970!

Should you buy finished or unfinished panels? Depends on how you value your time and your money. If doing the panels is part of the hobby for you, and the extra cash is an issue, then I'd
do it myself. If you want to spend the time on other projects on the car, and the cash is not an issue, buy the finished ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is a good source for detailed pictures and instructions for assembling panels. My biggest worry is that I have never done it before and I am afraid of screwing up the panel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can buy the assembled gold edition panels from site sponsor, Ground Up Restorations. They are a special order, but I was able to do it without too much difficulty.

I'll echo Unreal's comments and say that putting them together the right way takes a lot of time. I assembled mine in a similar fashion and they took forever. But it was worth it, they came out nice.

My problem with the pre-assembled panels is that even their metal top plate is not exactly like the original. Plus the stainless trim piece they put on is not the same as the originals either.

Lastly, I would not attempt to assemble a set without having originals to use as a template.

-Marc

·
Registered
403 Posts
what year car are you talking about?

must NOT be a 1967,
as i have no recall of the panels being near any thing "fuzzy".

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought the complete panels that were the best ones PUI offered, when I compared them to my originals, I didn't like the way the metal top fit or the stainless trim strip looked. (Compared to the original). I returned them and bought the PUI pieces that are the best but you need to finish them with your own metal top and stainless strip. I reused my fuzzies because they were in good shape. I also reused the staples that held it together buy carefully bending them out straight, then rebending them to hold the fuzzies in place. My staples were black finished so I had to touch them up with some flat black paint afterwards. I probably have 20 hours in mine and I'm completly satisfied with the results. The only thing wrong with my originals was they had speaker holes cut in them from a long gone underdash 8 track player. The panels were in nice shape other then that and probably resaleable, but not by the time I got the pieces I needed for the new ones.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I would buy the partial panels instead of the complete panels. Just like everyone said is true about the top piece and the chrome strip. They just dont fit right. Just keep one together to look at while your doing the other one. Also when you pop rivet the top metal I put washers on the back side of the panels so the pop rivet would not pull thru. They make aluminum washers for pop rivets. Also I add some galvanized sheet metal to the bottom of the door panels so when you screw them on it goes thru the door panel and the strip on metal. Just cut strips about 2-1/2" wide and the legnth of the door panel and glue them to your door panel. I peel back the material ( on the back bottom side ) then glue the strip then the material back on. That way the panel does not wave at you when you open the door. You can usually get a 3ft x 3ft sheet from your hardware store.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd echo those great comments by everyone too. I spent about 12 hours on each of mine assembling them and they came out great. But its a time thing IMO. I spent a lot of time getting them to hang right on the doors too. And the staples are very important. I made my own stainless steel staples too because I saw a resto where this guy used rivets instead and man did it look bad. Your eye went right to those tacky-looking rivets in the fuzzies! Take your time - you can do it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just did mine last week. First one took about 4 hours. Second one took about 2 hours. So that's 6 hours of doing what I love, working on my Camaro. If you do it yourself you'll have a little more ownership and pride in it when it's done. You should expect to have to modify some of the holes that are predilled for the stainless trim cause they don't line up right otherwise. Be sure to scribe a line on the metal where the top edge of the cardboard goes. Use the line to correctly position the new piece. Take your time applying the vinyl to the upper metal piece. If your not careful where you spray the 3M adhesive you'll get a poor result. Other than that it's not a tough project. I used PUI from Ricks

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Originally posted by cavemanmoron:
what year car are you talking about?

must NOT be a 1967,
as i have no recall of the panels being near any thing "fuzzy".
They are talking about 68~69's
67's have a metal upper door piece that retains the 'Fuzzies, they don't need to be removed/installed to swap door panels. If you paint the upper panel on a 67 you may need to remove the fuzzies.

Hope this clears up some of the 'fuzziness' :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts