Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father in law died about 10 years ago. Well about 4 months ago her cousin e-mails her and tells here to check out the Maryland unclaimed property site because her dads name is listed. So we check it out and his name is listed. He has a very unusal name Donald Elwood Rehrer. So we fill out the claim form, include a death certificate and letter from the lawers stating my wife is the exc. of his estate and a copy of her drivers license .
The other day they send us a letter wanting proof he was affilated with Prudentil Fin Inc. and verfication that he lived at the address listed in Maryland.
Anyone know how to get proof of these ? He's been dead 10 years and lived in Maryland about 40 years ago. We still don't know the amount of these assets and don't care. I just don't want some state screwing my wife over because of some documentation they know a person doesn't have and can't get. Any advice ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
If the address is a home he owned, the records to verify that are in the state deeds division. I can't think of an easy way to verify his affiliation with an insurance co. unless someone in the family has a record of an old policy.....especially a death benefit paid out.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Based upon what you posted here , it sounds like he had investments many years ago. Maybe your attorney can get info from the IRS because he may have reported gains or losses on that investment. Sorry but that is all I can think of...

Kev

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know how to search public records in Maryland. When I look it on the internet and try to search, companys that charge fees come up. Seems to me Marylnd would have his SS number on these assets and could just match it to the death certificate.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Usually what that is, is a death benefit from an insurance company. You must provide some type of proof that he lived at the address shown. Sometimes just a letter from them or anything else you can provide. Contact the insurance company and try to find out what you can. Sometimes the payoffs can be substantial. I went through this and received several thousand dollars I didn't know my Dad had taken out in a policy.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Talking to someone at Prudential is the best way to find out if he had a policy. They have ways to find out the policy number. Deeds are one of the best ways to prove ownership of property, but if he rented, then that may not help. Most towns also have the old directories, that may be of some help.
Prudential's website:http://www.prudential.com/
One of the best ways to research someone is with their SS #
All the information can be ordered. I did a search on your father-in-law and found:Name: Donald E. Rehrer
SSN: 215-32-4199
Last Residence: 47265 North Vernon, Jennings, Indiana, USA
Born: 7 Dec 1934
Died: 11 Nov 1995
State (Year) SSN issued: Maryland (1951-1952 )
If you look at:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...0&gss=angs-d&fh=0&recid=57964274&recoff=1+2+3
You can order his SS information right from that page. I have seen some of the information on one of these forms and it really gives a lot.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts