Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or used an underdash antennae? I really don't want to drill a hole in my fender so I want to keep my antennae under the dash. BTW, I'm using the stock radio.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried a hidden antenna and they suck.

I came up with a fairly clever idea for my antenna. I ran the cable through from under the dash through a hole in the door jamb, through the front right fender well and wire-tied the standard antenna underneath the radiator mounting frame.

You can't see it at all, I get pretty good reception (except for AM).

Hope that helps! Yeah, my first posted response!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't know what it is, but my car has a small antenna that is mounted to the front windshield on the inside. Works ok in my local.

I'm with you... I'd rather not drill a hole.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Maybe you can put your antenna in the roof panel between the headliner and roof. You could mount it with cable ties. I think you might want to make sure the base is grounded to the body. I have done this in a Camaro but I did have a Mazda RX7 that I did this with and it worked just as good as normal.

Joe

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe - I've got a convertible so that won't work. thanks for the suggestion though.

stp327 - that's a good idea. I was thinking about mounting the antennae horizontally in the right fender. But, I couldn't get any reception that way. The problem is that I only have an AM radio. I will be wiring an entirely different system ( mp3 player in the console, amp under the seat, and a removable kicker box in the back seat)so I won't be listening to the radio very often. I just want to get it working.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
where the antenna wire hole comes out of the cowl side to the fender you might be able to mount the antenna there, in the hole. Use one that has a flexable head, point it fwd and cover the mast with fuel line or ?? Just an idea, that will keep it under cover. Also can you mount anything under the cover across the top of the windshield? Not very knowlageable about verts and thier contstruction up that way. I have mounted one in a Chevelle under the dash near the front next to the firewall. It worked good. I was able to use cable ties on existing harness to secure it and soldered a ground to a washer and connected it.

I don't know how critical grounding is, but was told a long time ago by a stereo installer that it was nesssary. MIght want to post a question about it.

Joe

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Radioshack makes a self adhesive antenna in a roll (like masking tape). I put mine under the tulip panel and got an extension to go underneath the carpet to the head unit. Worked great when I tested it. You might also be able to put one on the underside of the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I also found that hidden antennas suck under the dash, I see alot of good ideas here now, I just went out and bought a Serius satalitte system and mounted the antenna on the dash next to the windshield works great and the channels are crystal clear with a excellent choice of stations for everyone. The added bonus is no fading or searching for stations, or tired of the same old CD's while out on the long drives. I have compared Serius against XM and Serius is the hands down winner.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Mstennes;

got any pictures of your sirus antenna install or is just sitting right on top of the dash? Been wondering were to mount one if I buy a sirus or XM tuner.

Also why did you choose sirus? I have not really compare the tow yet, but I do have free sirus broadcast over my dish network system and I do like it.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Joe,
I went with Sirius after comparing it with XM because it is all ad free (except talk stations etc) and Sirius uses 3 satilites where as XM uses one, it may not seem like a big deal but my buddies XM goes flat in some of the valleys we have here. It also goes flat around tall buildings in Seattle. He also said he lost it some of the time on a recent drive from Pheonix to Seattle. Its a little more money but worth it. I will shoot some pictures as soon as I put my car back together next week..I'm also thinking of moving it from the dash, and getting a smaller antenna and putting it on the back in front of the trunk between the trunk and the top boot. There magnetic but I'm thinking of some sort of adhesive as to not scratch the paint, and running the wire down in the trunk opening.
Good Luck! And I'll email some pics as soon as I get it back together this weekend. ( I took it apart to install a not so Painless 18 circut Wiring kit.)
Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
Oh, come on...just drill a hole and mount a REAL antennae!!! Then you can fly the American flag, or Jolly Roger, or racoon tail...or whatever, from the mast, just as the "general" intended!

Seriously, I don't know of a really good spot to "hide" an antennae. It would be a series of compromises...maybe some stations will come in, maybe no AM, etc...
I remember years ago, someone had a kit. It included a wire that adhered to the inside of the windshield and ran across it...I could never get it to work right. More of an annoyance than anything. So, I eneded up listening to more 8 track tapes! (Hey...I told you it was years ago! :D )
Good luck...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,

I did the dirty deed. I cut a hole and mounted an antennae. I tried a lot of things first and came I couldn't get any reception nearly as good as having the antennae sticking out of the fender. I tried running an extension to an area right be behind the grill and the reception sucked. I also tried to wrap it around the boot and the reception was still bad.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have a hidden antenna in the 69 and it works just fine. I ran it back through the wiring tunnel under the carpet and put the antenna inside the left rear quarter right behind the door.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Funny how some things work for others and nothing seems to work for you. I say that in a general sence. I have tried many things and ended up going back to the basics many times. At least you gave it a try and will not be second guessing that hole in your fender.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts