Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there such a product made for the 68 camaro UNDER hood cavities to fill them in.
when you raise the hood it looks like a large dog paw

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
You can get an insulation pad that covers most of the underhood.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I was looking up the hood insulation and found this.

[ATTACH type="full" alt="264024"]264024[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full"]264024[/ATTACH]

I can’t say I have seen this before. Most of the time the insulation is molded or a blanket. They are held in place by plastic push rivets. These new insulation pads appear to just insert into the hood cavities.

Roger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Never seen that before but sounds like what he's looking for

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking up the hood insulation and found this.

View attachment 264024 View attachment 264024

I can’t say I have seen this before. Most of the time the insulation is molded or a blanket. They are held in place by plastic push rivets. These new insulation pads appear to just insert into the hood cavities.

Roger
yes sir that is what I am looking for. now to find them

thanks

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I'm not real familiar with the underside of an SS hood, so what would make this exclusive to the SS hood? Visually it looks to me like it would work on a flat hood.
I did order them thank you for your info
I am not that familiar with the difference either. I did see the review in that link. It talks about not have enough room for the front of the larger pad. I looked for some underside pictures and they are attached below. The gray hood is flat hood and the red is a SS hood. If you look at the front of the larger opening of the gray hood, it does appear there is little or no room between the reinforcement and the hood top. Hope I didn’t mislead someone if they have a flat hood.

Roger
2442B898-03DB-426F-B9F7-8A0BAF0E38E2.jpeg
633A8895-1437-4484-9E0F-FACB4B3D3F9D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,427 Posts
is there such a product made for the 68 camaro UNDER hood cavities to fill them in.
when you raise the hood it looks like a large dog paw
Here is another style. Prolly more than I would spend, but it is still nice to see what all is available out there;
Brett.....

Dog Paw Fiberglass

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Thanks Roger. I think the pads give a finished look. I'll investigate some more.
Edit: added SS hood closeup pic. You can see the forward lip of the large cutout. The flat hood does not have the space under the brace in that area.
View attachment 264037
Yes and you can see the flat hood is worse. On the SS hood it looks like just two reinforcements but the flat hood, no room all along the front.

Roger

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
93 Posts
Hood Insulation Pad Fiberglass No Clips 1967-1969 Chevrolet Camaro Grey/Black

I bought this one off fleaBay. It was $190, but it has great detail and really finishes off the underhood nicely.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
93 Posts
A quick pointer on the hood insulation... The repro clips are kinda pricey and the thickness of the under-hood insulation I bought make them want to deform and break apart or fall out and get lost.

Solution: open wallet and buy a second set of plastic pushpin clips. Then, nip out the center with side cutters and install them with a longer replacement plastic pushpin through the center you just opened up.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

the 4 small inserts fit like a glove. the large one required thinning at the top where the channel goes under the outer structure on both sides

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,427 Posts
Here is the one I bought. Quite different because it is for a cowl hood. After the pic I added the last two clips to hold up the pad around the cowl opening.
Brett....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts