Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is the raw stainless steel headers will raise the under hood temps and that ceramic coating will help reduce under hood temps, is this correct?
Does header and exhaust wrap help reduce heat output from the pipes as well as the headers?
Would it help to have SS headers coated to reduce under hood temps?
Would wrapping the pipes from collector back reduce the output temps felt through the floors?
Would it make a significant difference?

20200825_122845 by F G, on Flickr

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think you’re right on all counts. Easier, more HP, and better for your
motor is 160 t’stat, get timing right.
If you have a mild BBC of 454 or less,
no reason for the heat you speak of.

Edit: nice headers

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Ceramic coated headers do reduce heat expelled by any header into engine compartment, including SS. Wrap also does this but moisture develops under the wrap and will destroy headers regardless of hat they are made from but SS would last a little longer. One significant benefit of a cowl hood is it does allow heat escape from under hood better than flat hood

IMHO something like DynoMatt under carpet is a better way to eliminate interior floor board heat that wrapping the exhaust itself post collectors

Agree your headers look great

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ceramic coated headers do reduce heat expelled by any header into engine compartment, including SS. Wrap also does this but moisture develops under the wrap and will destroy headers regardless of hat they are made from but SS would last a little longer. One significant benefit of a cowl hood is it does allow heat escape from under hood better than flat hood

IMHO something like DynoMatt under carpet is a better way to eliminate interior floor board heat that wrapping the exhaust itself post collectors

Agree your headers look great
I had heard wrapping causes the moisture issue (y)
driver side pic
Resized_20200824_213220 by F G, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Every car with headers I have/had were ceramic coated. I use Jet Hot coatings for headers that were not coated when I purchased them. I have headers on one car now for 25 years with over 100k mi on them and they look great. Duller than when new but still no signs of rust or flaking.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Every car with headers I have/had were ceramic coated. I use Jet Hot coatings for headers that were not coated when I purchased them. I have headers on one car now for 25 years with over 100k mi on them and they look great. Duller than when new but still no signs of rust or flaking.
have you had stainless headers coated?

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
419 Posts
First off, what headers are those? Those look sweeet.
Second, all of those will reduce heat. I have been in your shoes and it SUCKS.
I wrapped my steel headers and it didn't rust nearly as bad as I thought they were(I applied the 2000*f paint correctly before wrapping them which helped because the areas I didn't hit very well did rust).
The wrap made a pretty big difference, but if you work on your car often.. don't bother because once you take the headers out again the wrap will just disintegrate in your hands.

This time I just have painted headers(same headers I just sand blasted the old paint off and repainted them) with dynomat. The dynomat seemed to have made the largest difference. It is nice and cool now, even without coated headers. I will eventually order a set, but currently it's not an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, what headers are those? Those look sweeet.
Second, all of those will reduce heat. I have been in your shoes and it SUCKS.
I wrapped my steel headers and it didn't rust nearly as bad as I thought they were(I applied the 2000*f paint correctly before wrapping them which helped because the areas I didn't hit very well did rust).
The wrap made a pretty big difference, but if you work on your car often.. don't bother because once you take the headers out again the wrap will just disintegrate in your hands.

This time I just have painted headers(same headers I just sand blasted the old paint off and repainted them) with dynomat. The dynomat seemed to have made the largest difference. It is nice and cool now, even without coated headers. I will eventually order a set, but currently it's not an issue for me.
Hooker Blackheart

·
Registered
274 Posts
A big yes to ceramic coating headers - the difference in heat within the bay is very noticeable. Don't bother with exhaust wraps for the all the reasons above. Heat felt through the floor can be reduced via proper insulation inside the car e.g. laying dynamat under the carpet and as an added bonus you'll reduce the resonance, vibrations, squeaks, rattles and general road noise that our first gens can be known for.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cerakote is great on firearms and is some tough stuff. Goes on pretty thin and the stuff I used had to be baked to set up. Also needs a good sandblasted base to grab onto.

Anyone ever use this on headers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts