Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The material (probably cancer causing asbestos) is pretty well shot on the under side of the roof panel. I have scraped it off with a plastic putty knife and now wonder what to replace it with. I have some of B-Quite's Brown Bread material, but don't want to set up a condensation & rust situation. This area is obviously going to get hot!
What is the recommended insulation and sound proofing material that will allow the metal to breathe? I have been thinking of a rigid material that could be cut to size and popped in place, but have not come up with anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I had my headliner out not too long ago and thought about doing what you are doing.

Anyway, I didn't end up bonding anything to the ceiling itself... and didn't end up using any insulation for that matter... but the point of my post is that I made a pop-in type of headliner that could be insulated on its backside. This might be an option for you.

You can take a look on my website for pics of how I did it. Click the "68 Camaro" link, then the "interior" link. It begins on "page 12."

On another note... there was a discussion of the old factory stuff being cancer causing (asbestos). Somebody actually went and had it tested and it came back negative for asbestos.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Alot of members have used Dynamat and some other adhesive foil backed materials. Year One has a material close to the original. I think it is listed under either Chevelle or Nova though. Not listed under the Camaro directory. I saw some of it on Ebay, and this is where I asked the seller where he got it. I lost the auction on that item, but it looked very close to the original in thickness and composition.

Scot

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Dynamat or similar material should work fine; the original material was asphalt-based, and was there as a panel dampener (like Dynamat) to kill the "drumming" of the roof outer panel.

·
Premium Member
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the asbestos report, I did wear a dust mask when scraping and cleaning it up, just in case.
Hey, nice car too! What are your wheel combination w/ diameter and backspacing etc.?
As far as the ceiling I was thinking more of insulation panels to pop into place within the support rails. I like the looks of your ceiling, looks real professional, but I am going with the original type of suspended headliner.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Thanks X33D80

The wheels are from American Racing... the "Torque Thrust II." They are very popular around here. I've got 16x7 up front and 16x8 in the rear... my memory is kind of vague on the backspacing but I think it was 3.75'' up front and 4.5'' out back... something around there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts