Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got up enough motivation to reseal the kick panels with plumbers putty that I mistakenly took off when I installed my speakers. Oops.

While I'm in the area, I got out my AAW courtesy light harness to install.

Problem is, I don't have the factory "T" connector to plug into. (My car didn't orig have it, I'm adding it)
I sent a quick email to AAW, and the response was to either buy the rear body harness and redo, or cut n splice.

Soooo, understanding the door light switch is 12v when the door is closed, do I splice in there? Which wire from the new c.l. harness splices in?

This'll be nice once it's in, imo deluxe interiors really shoulda had this from the get-go, but whatever....

Thanks for the help

- J.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
The door jamb switch grounds the dome light when the door is opened. If you tap into that (which is the easiest way to do it), you want the lights hot at all times. Then you just run the light ground to the splice. When the door is closed, the ground is incomplete therefore,no lights. Open the door, ground is completed, lights on.

The only question, can the dome light be turned via the headlight switch when the doors are closed? I can't remember that part of it. Probably best to check a wiring diagram to be sure.

alan

·
Premium Member
19,656 Posts
John I was wondering if your car is a CA car or OH car. My car is a OH car and I found that connector behind the drivers kickpanel. It was on the wiring going to the rear of the car, at the top of the kickpanel, jest were the wire comes down from the dash. I just ordered my lights the other day.

roger

·
Registered
683 Posts
I beleive there are extra connectors you can connect to. Take a picture of the connection end you have and let's see what you are meaning by "T" connector.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
John I was wondering if your car is a CA car or OH car. My car is a OH car and I found that connector behind the drivers kickpanel. It was on the wiring going to the rear of the car, at the top of the kickpanel, jest were the wire comes down from the dash. I just ordered my lights the other day.

roger
Mine's an OH car too. I didn't think the connector would be there but it was. Just a little hard to find. I think it was tape wrapped to something else behind the drivers side kick panel. It was very near the top so I didn't have to remove the panel to plug in the courtesy light harness. You'll be thrilled with the added illumination!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

roger
I'm a CA made car. (04D - LOS)
I did look awful hard for this "T" connector, but I didn't unwrap the original elect tape to see if it's under there.... I will though as a last ditch effort to try to do a plug n play install. Stat tuned, hoping to get lucky.....

Although I thought if I:

a. am not a convertible, as convertibles had this connector automatically, and,
b. not having this originally installed option from the factory,

I wouldn't have the "t" connector on my harness, as they used different ones on the assembly line.

I dunno, I'll go look again...........

·
Registered
180 Posts
Courtesy lights questions anyone ...
1) I have and extra plug connector inside and above the driver's kick panel ... I'll have to check again on the color or the wires, but I think they were orange and black ... Is this the courtesy lights connector? ... Or what else would this connector be
2) There is a connector behind the glove box, I believe it is yellow, light blue, and (white?, not sure don't hold me to it) ... I'll have to recheck the colors again ... It is not the A/C wiring harness as it goes in a different direction ... And the wires do come off of the instrument panel wiring harness ... I do not see anything that this would have plugged into ... So, I am stumped
3) I also have a on off button for the glove box, but I see no light connector, or a hole to stick a bulb socket for the glove box (card board glove box not currently installed, could be a hole in the card board box), and I have no pig tail for a light socket for the cigar tray/ lighter ... would that be part of the courtesy lights harness ? ...
Anyways, a little help anyone on trying to understand what was SUPPOSED to be there, as things were hacked into over time ...

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Buy the harness. It has the connector above the driver kick panel for the courtesy light harness to plug into. I replaced the harness to add courtesy lights.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, forgot 'bout this....

I seem to remember, a convertible, or a car orig having this option has the "T" connector in the harness. If you are neither of the above, a little minor splicing is required into the main harness.

Mine is neither a 'vert or had it installed new.

I used the AAW harness and spliced into the main harness using the wiring schematics in the service manual.
So, after I figured it out, I now have them. Was really worth it! What a difference!

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
Courtesy lights questions anyone ...
1) I have and extra plug connector inside and above the driver's kick panel ... I'll have to check again on the color or the wires, but I think they were orange and black ... Is this the courtesy lights connector? ... Or what else would this connector be...
Courtesy light connector would be orange and white, that sounds like the right location for it.
2) There is a connector behind the glove box, I believe it is yellow, light blue, and (white?, not sure don't hold me to it) ... I'll have to recheck the colors again ... It is not the A/C wiring harness as it goes in a different direction ... And the wires do come off of the instrument panel wiring harness ... I do not see anything that this would have plugged into ... So, I am stumped ...
I think this goes to the blower resistor in non A/C cars. would be yellow, lt blue and orange wires.
3) I also have a on off button for the glove box, but I see no light connector, or a hole to stick a bulb socket for the glove box (card board glove box not currently installed, could be a hole in the card board box), ...
The connector goes into the push button on the end of an orange wire (wish I had a pic) then the bulb goes in there too. The bulb won't stay without the connector.
and I have no pig tail for a light socket for the cigar tray/ lighter ... would that be part of the courtesy lights harness ? ...
I think the lighter just gets a female bullet connector on the screwstud on back of lighter socket(on orange wire). It's not part of courtesy harness as I think all cars had lighter but most did not have courtesy lights.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Courtesy light connector would be orange and white, that sounds like the right location for it.
I think this goes to the blower resistor in non A/C cars. would be yellow, lt blue and orange wires.
The connector goes into the push button on the end of an orange wire (wish I had a pic) then the bulb goes in there too. The bulb won't stay without the connector.I think the lighter just gets a female bullet connector on the screwstud on back of lighter socket(on orange wire). It's not part of courtesy harness as I think all cars had lighter but most did not have courtesy lights.

Jeff
X2
And for the ash tray, the light is really a fiber optics cable from the dash lights. Look under the dash for a thick, stiff wire. It'll come from the near pod and pops into the frame above the ash tray.
And if you have a console, the bulb at the rear is part of the courtesy light group that cost me $5.95 new. And that included the under hood and trunk lights.:thumbsup:
The glove box light is a PIA. The clip that goes into the plastic socket is hot all the time. Try to remove the glove box without blowing a fuse! It has to be removed from the socket to remove the cardboard. That little light gets damaged too. It is one of 4 bulbs in my car that are not original, not counting the headlights.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got it ... I did a removal and replacement of the wiring to day ... Too much of the old wiring had been hacked into and destroyed ... There were just too many melted/ heated wires ... I felt there was no choice due to the investment ratio ...

New instrument panel/ main fuse panel wiring, new mid body to rear harness, new A/C harness ... Also, I know what the courtesy light pigtail is and where to find it ... The glove box issue was resolved too (small bulb missing) on the backside of the visible switch ... Yellow, blue, and two orange wires, go to the non A/C heater switch ... I decided it will also be necessary to replace the turn signal harness in the steering column ... My new instrument harness is missing the single brown wire that hooks up to the A/C harness ... The brown wire that I need or the A/C harness, is missing from the main fuse panel harness but it is located in the heater switch connector

I would now like to add the under hood light ... Any closeups for wiring routing and hardware mounting/ installation

1 - 13 of 13 Posts