Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a Camaro question but I really didn't want to have to join another forum to ask this question. I'm looking at getting some wheels for the wifes car and it says it has an offset of 35 (I know what that is) but the front has an et31 and the rear an et 20. What does that mean?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Not really a Camaro question but I really didn't want to have to join another forum to ask this question. I'm looking at getting some wheels for the wifes car and it says it has an offset of 35 (I know what that is) but the front has an et31 and the rear an et 20. What does that mean?
ET is an abbreviation of the German word for offset.
I don't remember the full German word, but it's not really important.
All German cars use this for sizing and any good wheel seller knows this.
ET is measured in millimeters (mm).
A staggard front/rear ET usually means you have wider wheels and tires in the back, which is common on German rear wheel drive performance cars like the BMW M3.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats whats weird. They said all 4 wheels have a 35 mm offset and then these numbers where in there too. Possibly backspacing.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Offset/ET/Backspacing all mean the same thing.
When you say "it says it has an offset of 35" who or what is "it" and what has et31 and et20?
What year/make/model are you talking about?
35 is probably the et for the stock same size front and rear, and the other et's are probably to fit maximum size tires in staggard sizes

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
James - I know what you mean but offset and backspacing are different measurements used to express the same thing. Here's a conversion chart from Back Spacing to offset based for different wheel sizes...

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is the link to what I am looking at. My wife drives a 2003 G35 coupe. Currently her car has stock 18" wheels, 30mm offset, 225/45/18 front, 245/45/18 rear. I just want to know if these rims are basically a direct replacement for what she has. I guess the different ET numbers is what is throwing me off course. If that is just something to do with what tires I can go with, that makes sense. Sorry about the confusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=150139674792&rd=1

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Here is the link to what I am looking at. My wife drives a 2003 G35 coupe. Currently her car has stock 18" wheels, 30mm offset, 225/45/18 front, 245/45/18 rear. I just want to know if these rims are basically a direct replacement for what she has. I guess the different ET numbers is what is throwing me off course. If that is just something to do with what tires I can go with, that makes sense. Sorry about the confusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=150139674792&rd=1
Your back tires should be a lower aspect ratio than the fronts.
Are you sure they are not 245/40/18?
Contact the seller, and get them to confirm the rims will fit.
I know of this shop (Globe), they are just a few miles from my home and have a very high end clientele.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went and checked size again and they are both 45's. That size is also listed for both on the plate on the door.
I've tried to contact the seller and he has not returned any of my emails. Maybe business is really good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts