Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very tiring problem:
Switched to a "mini" starter with 2 wires rather than the 3 on the OEM starter. That'swhen this problem started (pun intended).
The dist has a Mallory Unilite conversion and started great BEFORE the new starter was installed.
Took the advise and found a switched 12 volt source and ran it to the hot side of the coil with a resister inline.
NO SPARK!! The source always has power even when the starter turns over, however, with the dist unpluged from the power source the voltage is around 13 vlts. When the connector is pluged back in the voltage drops to 3 vlts.
Also, the inline resister gets rather warm, actually hot.
This doesn't happen when the dist is unpluged.
I suspect either the unilite module is shorting or perhaps bad ground but I have replaced the ground wire and it appears to be good.
Anyone have any experiance with "unilite" conversions or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

------------------
AJ

·
Registered
572 Posts
Check the battery voltage while you are cranking. What does it drop down to?
The higher the resistance of the starter the higher the amp draw becomes which in turn drops the voltage. check the cables and cable ends, maybe you got a bum starter.

·
10,144 Posts
I think you have to run "their" resistor. I'm not shure you can use just any resistor. Also you must run a compatable coil. I can't remember if you absolutely have to run a resistor. 3V is too low. Try calling mallory in reno nevada.
Mine died years ago. The pot metal advance weights came loose and hit the case. It made a pretzel out of my tach cable.

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 03-22-2000).]

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm running the Unilite and matching coil. When I first hooked it up I got the wires wrong and blew the module. It doesn't work intermittently or short out and then work again - it just dies a quick and permanent death. Be very careful to hook it up exactly as Mallory says - call them if you have questions. Once it's hooked up right it works like a champ. BTW - I'm using a generic ballast resistor on mine.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

·
10,144 Posts
The unilite has a photocel and a light emitting diode, LED, each side of the gap. If you turn on the ign, does the led light up?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fried module.
Unilites are apparently suspect to voltage spikes, according to Mallory and Summit.
They both highly recommend part # (Summit)MAA-29351 to protect against voltage spikes (and Ham-Handed installations; my problem).
Thanks for all the replys.
AJ

------------------
AJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts