Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new ignition switch for Christmas....I know how to pull the lock and bezel....Will I be able to reach up and unplug the harness from the switch or do I have to remove the gage cluster for access?...Looks like it has three clips..is it a bear to unplug?...is there a trick to it?....Thanks Len

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Put the key into the ignition switch and turn it to the acc position. Then take a small piece of wire and stick into the tiny hole to release the key tumblers. Once you have the key tumbler out you can unscrew the bezel and remove the switch. Depending on if your harness it routed correctly and not all tangled up you should be able to pull the switch down far enough to remove it from the harness. There are 3 tabs you will need to press inward to release the harness from the switch.

I hope this helps & good luck..

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick...I am glad I don't have to drop the column to remove the gauge cluster...I will give a go on Friday....Len

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed my new ign switch this morning...after pulling the lock and bezel there was enough slack in the harness to hang the switch downward but still could only get one hand on it reaching up under the dash...I could see the switch through the hole in the dash it came out of...It has three locking tabs on the plug that were impossible to compress and pull at the same time with one hand...I was able to slip a pre looped tyrap over the switch and cinch it down to compress the three tabs at the same time....I then used a long straight slot screw driver through the dash hole to carefully wedge the plug off the switch... After sniping the tyrap I was able to easily put the plug on the new switch with one hand....The new switch has a tighter positive feel to it and as an added bonus the key buzzer works again.....Thanks Len

1 - 4 of 4 Posts