Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

thanks for accepting me into the forum. My name is Johann, I am from Germany and looking at a 1967 Camaro SS 396 right now, which supossedly is a L78 car. Before any questions arise, the car is a very well done frame-off restauration, almost no flaws at all on the car -basically like new. The seller is asking 68,000$ for it.

Now to the weird part:

The trim tag says the car is a 4N car, production first week of July 1967.

The VIN is a 16xxxx, so July 1967 seems to fit.

The block matches the VIN, the engine code says it´s a MQ - so L78 block. Assembly date is 07II, so 11th of July.

Basically there seems to be a mismatch between the trim tag and the block / VIN combination.

The carburetor seems to be a Hollley 4160 series List- 3613, so not original but from a 1966 Chevelle SS 396 L78.

Is there the possibility that this is still a real L78 car? If it´s not - is this well made tribute in the market price range? It certainly is a very nice car.

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Johann

·
16,514 Posts
The most likely scenario is the Block has been re-stamped.

To offer thoughts on value we need much more info as well as pictures of the car.

Reactions: Major_Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is there any other possibility?

With this link you will find the original ad:

Link

The car has 30,447 miles on the odometer.

EDIT: The car has a Muncie 4-Speed, main case casting 3851325 (so not matching I guess), 12-Bolt rear with posi.

It has the 5,5k-6k tach, no power steering, no AC.

Disk brakes front, drums in the back.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Clean looking car, Johann! No idea on it's originally, but the master cylinder setup has definitely been replaced. Can you get pictures of the block stamping?

Reactions: Major_Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is definitely a lot to address when you look at the motor and stamping to determine if it is original. Typically the motors have an earlier date than the car. This is a tonowanda engine plant car which is New York and the car is California plant car. The motor should have been there prior to the car being built so the body does not sit. Did you check all of the codes on the intake, heads, other date codes? Here is a good link for looking at engine stamping. The location and order of the stamping is correct for 67 camaro big blocks, but hopefully someone else will chime in. There are a lot of smart people on this group. The engine plant and car plant usually have different stamps, so that looks a little odd to me on this block.

I have trouble posting links, but check this out if you haven’t already.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.