Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again guys,

For those that might care im posting a interim update to my project. This last weekend was a huge success so far in terms of moving forward. Thanks HOTROD2715.

Working with a lift is sweet. I seen stuff i didnt even know was on my car

We got the new Turbo 400 with MVB and Pro Edge converter installed.

The day started out with the dreaded 7:30AM start up of a 700HP 500+ inch big block straight headers viscously breaking the tranquil early morning rituals of peace and quite. I drove out cringing myself and only today was told i actually broke one of my neighbors of whom i work with, glass window pane.

Made it out to the shop somehow avoiding all contact with law enforcement or mustangs provoking me. From here the day was looking up.

Trans dropped in like a dream the only problem we had was the bolt hole pattern on the edge converter was a tad off. We then installed the new cross member that is actually made for a turbo 400 and it was time to start the exhaust install.

I ordered Hooker 3.5 to 3.5 collectors then some 3.5 inch pipe into 3.5 Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers and finally some turn downs. Everything started off interestingly enough as i realized i had ordered the wrong turn downs, oh well we tacked them on for now.

Using off the shelf Hooker headers ( courtesy of HOTROD2715 thanks again ) with the Tall deck block and Raised exhaust runner AFR heads makes getting past the cross member a challenge. The header collectors are definitely tucked up close to the body. After some altercation we were able to clear the cross member with a minimum of restriction. If i had a extra couple hundred bux i would have purchased the DR GAS 3.5 round into 2.5x4.5 back to 3.5 adapters to accomplish this with NO loss, however right now $200 goes further toward getting to the track. With the lift setup he just put the Aero Chambers into correct location and got the pipe to them using a straight shot. Then he installed a 2.75" H-Pipe between the 2 and put the turn downs on.

We proceeded to fire her up. I was in complete shock how subdued the car sounded along with how good. It really is not obnoxious anymore and has a much more mid-range ish sound. I actually had recorded it already so that peeps could listen and make up their own minds, but got the mic to close and messed it up. When it get pretty again I will get some audio for those that care.

Had a little trouble getting the shifter set back up but once this was done and everything including leaks was checked out it was time for my favorite part, the over the top road test. I backed her out the shop and when the turn downs hit the gravel parking lot i disappeared in a vortex of dust bbc style

Out to the road for some part throttle testing then once i was convinced there were no problems back down to let her rip. I had noticed absolutely no difference in my tight 3500 to this new 4500 up to this point. The first time i fire walled the throttle however i wasn't in Kansas anymore. The RPMs came up sharply and melted the tires so fast it didnt seem possible, for a split second i thought it was broken then the geforce's applied itself to my highly tuned butt dyno and the battle to hold the car between ditches was on!!!! I eventually had to let out because giving it a gear didnt help anything. The shift from 2-3 was the hardest most positive shift i have ever experienced in the car. I pulled back into the gravel at the shop and proceeded to cover my car in small rocks ( to the dismay of my passenger whom was just getting the color back in his knuckles ). Ole ET Street's got wasted like they were a donut spare.

I drove the car around some sunday. its trying to run a little warm on my and i have a small fuel leak to fix along with a leaking valve cover and headers. Larry promptly chastised me for not having a drive shaft loop to which i replied wont the H-pipe hold it

Not gonna cut it i see, after talking to him i found a couple videos on the net somewhere and it wasnt pretty so i ordered one hehe. I dont have seat belts either got to figure out how to use a harness with my factory seats.

I ordered the correct turn downs, the drive shaft loop and some copper header gaskets that actually fit. I also ordered the custom MSD bushing that will allow me to run more initial advance in hopes of getting the King Demon off the transition slots. It was obvious the car was rich after installed the air cleaner and exhaust so i ordered some jets as well. I plan to knock these little items off and assuming i get the loop installed should be ready to take it to the track weekend after this one coming up. Ill get some video up soon. I was so happy driving the BBC around town a bit and even survived contact with multiple boogies ( police officers ), but try as i might i did have to open it up a time or two before i went home. Im really happy with the Pro Edge 4500 which seems to attain part throttle lock up and still flash to 4800 in 3rd going from no load to WOT, as best we can tell. I reserved judgement till i get to the track, but so far it seems just as Andre said it would react.

Hopefully the next updates has some ET's with it and i cant see how the car wont have picked up if i can hook it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a date set for Friday the 23rd.
I plan complete the following task this weekend or before.

1. Install the custom MSD bushings to increase initial timing, with the end results hopefully being able to reduce throttle angle enough to get out of the transition circuit and stop the car from being overly rich at idle.
2. Lean the carb a bit with 91 Jets ( currently 93 ).
3. If the affore mentioned adjustments line lean the car down right change plugs to get a better idea where i am.
4. Pull the valve covers and adjust the valves ( haven't done it since break in ) hopefully fixing the oil leak in the process.
5. Install the new correct size header gaskets to hopefully eliminate the leaks.
6. Fix gas leak on regulator fitting. I used Teflon sealer ( puddy type not tape ) anyone have a better suggestion?
7. Install my Caltracs to upper hole per suggestion and set shocks to a baseline. I plan to approach the first track day with a little more methodical approach than i normally would. Logging settings and results.

Need Shop List via if my good ole buddy Larry has time

1. Weld bolt in sub frame connectors to help strengthen
2. Strengthen the trans cross member where we raised it to clear the 3.5 inch exhaust.
3. Weld Drive Shaft loop in
4. Weld correct turn downs on

Take 2 aspirins and flog as needed :thumbsup:

March 23rd its on and i cant wait, time is creeping by.

Shawn

·
Registered
235 Posts
Shawn,

Sounds awesome man....love it when people achieve what they want.

Would love some advice some time on that cross member and extractors. I am just about to drop a 632 cube tall deck and T400 into a 68 and these were 2 areas I was expecting some serious challenges.

Can you tell me where you got your full exhuast and part numbers and same for the cross member.

Oh and please do post up that audio when you get a chance

Rgds
Chris

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys sad to report 1 step forward and 2 steps back. After exhausting all my experience i turned to the tech guys at Barry Grant to help me lean out the King Demon at Idle and transition. Its so rich im scared it could damage the rings before they seat completely. When i had done everything they suggested ( this is a several month adventure btw ), then they admitted something must be wrong with machining or internally and had me send it in to them last week. I fixed the gas leaks at the regulator only to finally determine i had a hair line crack in the pump itself leaking fuel intermittently, so i ordered another pump.

I finally got the header leaks fixed and the correct 3.5 inch turn downs on.
I also ran the valves and tightened them up a bit.
I also installed the old 750HP street Dominator from my small block ( which was pretty bad for a street engine its ownself ), and guess what? Yea had it idling perfectly in about 5 minutes time, that is without the throttle shaft holes either. So there was definitely something horribly wrong with the King Demon.

When i get my car back drivable I still have to get the Drive Shaft Loop in and then its just waiting on the King Demon to return. The Dominator belongs to my friend whom purchased my SBC and its fairly dead on so i dont want to change it up to much. I just put it on there to see if the engine design as is or the ignition system might be a culprit while i wait, that and be able to move my car around.

:(

Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.