Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just converted over from manual to power steering on my 69 camaro. I also ordered the fast ratio gear box that is 12.7:1. The problem occurs when driving the car straight. It feels like its manual steering until you turn then it moves very freely like it should. Its kinda scary cause its hard then all of a sudden it turns real easy :eek: . Also when turning to the left it will hit the lock on the control arm but when I turn left the steering box stops before it can hit the lock. Could this be caused by the pitman arm not being centered? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The on center tightness can be adjusted. On top of the box, there is an allen screw with a jam nut on it. Hold the allen in position with an allen wrench, loosen the jam nut, then turn the allen out CCW 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Then hold it in place with your allen wrench while you tighten the jam nut back down and then go try it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What box did you use and did you have an alignment done after install?
I ordered it from a shop here locally but im pretty sure its just a rebuilt quick ratio from classic industries (nothing fancy) wish I would have gotten an agr. As far as the alignment goes it was done when we rebuilt all the front end but not since the new steering box was put in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The on center tightness can be adjusted. On top of the box, there is an allen screw with a jam nut on it. Hold the allen in position with an allen wrench, loosen the jam nut, then turn the allen out CCW 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Then hold it in place with your allen wrench while you tighten the jam nut back down and then go try it out.
Ill go try this out and see what happens hopfully it works!! I appreciate the help guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so I tried adjusting the allen screw on the top which did make it feel better. It still feels like it has a hard time turning to the right though. it feels stiff untill a certain point then it goes easy. when turning to the left it feels fine the whole way thru.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The easiest way to check center is to disconnect the pitman arm and steering coupler at the rag joint. Just disconnect the bolts (if you have them) at the rag joint, remove the four bolts holding the column inside the car, then pull it back. Then you can rotate the coupler end of the box all the way to one side. Count how many rotations it takes to rotate fully the other way. Then come back half as many turns so you know the box is on center. At that point, the pitman arm should go on pointing straight forward.

With that box, it should take a little more than 1-1/4 turn from one lock or the other to be on center.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Take it back, it is not what you wanted or defective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I found out that the rag joint was rubbing on the gear box which was causing it to turn harder to the right. So resolved one issue. But I still cant figure out why it is not fully turning to the right because the pitman arm has grooves so it can only go on the gearbox splines one way and so does the ragjoint.

·
10,144 Posts
The aftermarket rag joints are upside down! This puts the steering wheel upside down from where it is supposed to be, or your steering wheel a half-turn out of phase with the box.
With steering wheel straight ahead, your rag joint should look like this, with flat on top, bolt pointing down on the drivers side of the car (left).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to jump in , but ............ David , I have the upside down aftermarket rag joint. Can I pull the steering wheel and reinstall 180 degrees from current orientation ? I can't rmeber if the shaft has a flat , or if the turn signals are somehow indexed .
Thanks for the help ! 69 RS , tilt column , wood wheel ..........

Jeff

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yeah, the steering shaft has a flat so it'll only go on one way. I put my rag joint in upside down and it didn't affect me any. I just drilled it and used my own bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Sorry to jump in , but ............ David , I have the upside down aftermarket rag joint. Can I pull the steering wheel and reinstall 180 degrees from current orientation ? I can't rmeber if the shaft has a flat , or if the turn signals are somehow indexed .
Thanks for the help ! 69 RS , tilt column , wood wheel ..........

Jeff
With a functioning steering lock (and plate) in the column it's not possible to rotate the steering wheel on a 69 or newer GM column.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts