Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350TH in my 67. It's is a daily driver so I would like to get an OD tranny.
I want to put in a 200-4R. Does anyone know how much HP it can handle? What upgrades do I need to get it to handle between 450 to 500 HP?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
If you can find one out of an 86-87 Grand National it should hold up. I had an 86 GN running 12.50's with the stock trans. The GN's got extra clutches and a larger servo. They also have the composite bolt pattern to fit a Chevy.

Performance Transmission in Sacramento built the 2004R I have in my 72 Camaro. They claim 700 h.p. but they change virtually everything; the drum is the weak link. The 2004R's from the rest of the cars are a little weaker than the GN's although getting them to handle 450 h.p. or so isn't too bad. Beyond that it get's expensive but it can be done.

Jody

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I agree with Cam. I have a friend building a 475 ft-lb Pontiac 400 and I'm trying to talk him into the 200r4.

These trannys are underrated, I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Camcojb:

Thanks Camcojb. Besides the drum being the weak link, what other things should I change to get up to 500 HPs? Are you saying the GN tranny can do it?
Jody[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
Are you going to be running slicks? I would guess that my GN had app. 450 h.p. The trans was stock. I ran M/T Sportsmen Pro's with mid 1.60's for the 60' time, so it left fairly hard; mid 12.50's-12.60's. I never hurt the trans and I was out there every week to test the changes I was doing to the car. At an honest 500 h.p. you're probably at the breaking point; if you're running street tires you'll probably be fine. You might call Bruce at Performance Trans. to see what is the next upgrade/price.

(916) 739-0510

·
Registered
3 Posts
The real weak link in this trans. is the pump. You need to at least have hardened rings in the pump. Also this trans. has a lockup converter and it needs to work to have proper cooler flow. There is a lot of upgrades you can do to this trans., but it should be done by a professional. I am a transmission rebuilder, if you have any questions, problems, etc. you can e-mail me directly, I'll try to help you out any way I can. Mike
[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Camcojb:

Thanks Camcojb,

I have only about 450 HP, but I wanted to know how much room I had in case wanted to add nitro or and HP increase. So it sound like 200-4R is enough for me for now. When I can afford more HP, I can afford to upgrade the tranny.

I'm supprised 12.50 is your time with 450 HP and slicks, I would have expected better. Could I expect more with my camaro with all else equal? (I have 3.25 gears)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
I was guessing about 450 h.p. I don't know for sure. I didn't run slicks, I ran the Sportsmen Pro's. A Grand National is definitely heavier than a Camaro. I could only leave with about 5 lbs. of boost or it would fry the tires. In reality it could have probably run low 12's and with a perfect chassis maybe high 11's but this was a heavy stock chassis car with sway bars, etc; definitely not set-up for drag racing. As it was a lot of people got pissed off by being beat by a V-6. It had only bolt-ons; the valve covers had never been removed; stock cam, etc.

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 08-17-2000).]

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I looked into an At Carr 200-R4 to go behind my 497. Art said he could build one for around $1800.00 plus the converter. He said that it would be good for 800hp and plenty of torque.
I want to "row the gears" so am staying with my M-20 Muncie until I "blow it". I really want a "reasonably priced" 5 speed high torque trans, but I'm "kinda poor", like the wife and kids need stuff too. pdq67

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.