Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if I need to remove the upper ball joint to replace the boot. My car has the original ball joint with the mounting rivets.:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Normally no ...
Just separate the upper joint from the spindle and replace hte boot.
They are available from most auto stores.

I have run into a few where it looked like the installer put the boot on the joint before installing it :confused:
These were trapped between the arm hole and the joint and required joint removal and then reinsatllation to correct :sad:

WATCH OUT FOR THE SPRING :eek:
Be sure you use a compressor or other meens of retaining it and know what you are doing before separating the spindle from the joint.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The lower looks like it can be remove and replace but the upper look like its held in by something and will take more effort to get out.

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
If the lower arm is supported at the ball joint the weight of a fully assembled car and the shock will keep the spring from coming out when the upper arm is removed. The upper boots on original upper ball joints are not replaceable in my opinion. If it is replaceable the joint has to come out of the arm as the boot is above the arm. After having gone to all that work I would just replace.

Just ,my .02 YMMV

jeff

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When installing the dust boot on the lower ball joint should the bottom of the boot touch the metal A frame or just on the notch on the balljoint itself,about 1/8 " off the A frame?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts