Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do the 4 upper control arm bushings need to be pressed in or can I simply get some longer bolts and "press" them in myself by turning the bolts?

Also, do they need to be aligned or pressed in a certain distance? I noticed from my original pictures, they appear to be about 1/4" or so from being fully pressed in.

Thanks,

Hans

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you have access to les schwabs they can press them in for you, i used my bench vice with a couple pieces of nylon plate to keep from scratching them up it's been awhile so i can't remember the exact steps i took i might of had to use a large socket for a spacer can't remember anyways wasn't to hard. maybe someone else will help you out im not sure if this is the correct way but it worked for me.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
They probably look like there's a quarter inch space because there is a flange on the ear that sticks up. You press the bushing all the way in until it stops.

You can rent a ball joint press tool kit at most auto parts stores. It will have a C-clamp with several different size cups and plates in it. You can use it to press the metal bushing sleeves in and then go back and put the bushings in (if you have poly). Do rubber ones come apart? I don't know. I like press the metal sleeves in first and then go back and do the bushing because sometimes it can damage the bushing trying to do it all at once.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They probably look like there's a quarter inch space because there is a flange on the ear that sticks up. You press the bushing all the way in until it stops.
Yep, re-looked at the pictures and didn't realize the flange. Parts were all more or less the same color, so it looked like they stuck out. Good idea on the auto parts store. I'll try them.

Hans

1 - 5 of 5 Posts