Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

I'll soon be replacing my upper control arms. I've never done just an "upper" - but have replaced both before, and it's been years and years. Just thinking about this, if I put a floor jack under the lower arm with pressure on it, and just remove the upper arm, "springs and things" shouldn't go flying, right? Or am I missing something? Any safety advice greatly appreciated, and as always, thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ive never done just an upper either, but your plan sounds like itd work. Id still probably wrap a chain through the spring somehow, just in case.....

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Al, first with the suspension hanging, loosen but don't remove the upper ball joint nut.
Pop the joint.
Then put the jack under the lower ball joint and crank her up till the upper is loose.
As long as the shock is still on and the wieght is on it from the jack, she won't go no where.
If it's gonna be that way more than an hour or two, I'd jack it under the spring, then put a jackstand under the balljoint.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
all the weight of the car is supported by the lower balljoint, and the upper is just there to keep the tire upright.
so, yes, you can take the upper arm off without "springs and things" flying all over the place. just support the lower arm under the balljoint after using the spring pressure to pop the upper joint apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts