Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the 1/4" rivets in the control arms. I have tried to install them with a 4X rivet gun however they are not moving I am at 80 pounds but will not move. Are there other ways to install the rivets. My car is a 68 ss rs 396 under construction. If some one has an idea please let me know.

·
13,751 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Almost impossible to duplicate the factory rivets. Heat and a press are the only way I can think to do it, but I personally would use bolts as well.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
In-Line Tube offers a bolt that looks like a Rivet. At least they used to. Call them.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks every one for the help, I need to stay original as this has been a full on restoration. My motor has been rebuilt to the same standards as original. The car is a number matching car. Thanks again to everyone it is great that the site has people that is willing to help out.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Aha! Selection in staying with OE design and I can respect this decision.
Looks like maybe send them to Blair's, or maybe find a local shop?
Show a pic when done setting the rivets.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I did a bunch of hot riveting on my 45 Willys frame, its simple, (I can say that now)
heat the rivet up with a torch then drop it in and go to town with the rivet gun and a bucking tool
your 4X should work fine but you need to heat the rivet red hot

·
13,751 Posts

·
Registered
7,479 Posts

·
13,751 Posts
For certain judging criteria, only assembly line parts will pass. Otherwise, points are deducted.
Interesting. Would the judges look so close to deduct if the look like rivers were used?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information, I did find the correct rivets but doing the riveting is not as easy the rivets are 1/4" and the rivets need to be the correct length. It is a learning curve. I will find how to do the riveting and will keep in touch with everyone when finished. Thanks for all the replies they are very help full.

·
13,751 Posts
Yeah. I’ve heard about the battery tray thing and the hold down. Funny is I’ve been throwing this stuff away for years. Haha

I’m not a pack rat and if I don’t have or see a need for something in the foreseeable future I purge.

But I’ve never been an all original kinda guy. My 69 Z28 I bought new in 69 didn’t stay original for 6 months.

I do appreciate and respect the hard work original guys do. Just not my cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again to all however I am not sure what is the tag for the tray. My tray is 50 years old and I have never found a tag but I would like to know more about the tag. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Story on the battery tray is that the nuts where the tray bolts down are usually at an angle (not 90° to the edge of the tray) on original trays, and the tray has an extended "tail" on the outer end where the battery hold down nut is inserted into the tray, whereas the replacement trays don't have that excess metal in that area. Talk about nit picking, but that's what makes the difference in the eyes of judges.

Reactions: Niblet

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Jon for that info did not know the tray was that big of a deal. I still want to have my car judged at some point, we shall see. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 26 Posts