Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about the grease and a socket trick to "hydraulic" the bushing out but it's not working. There is no air that I know of. Filled it with a grease gun and have a socket that just barely fits. It feels solid when I smack it but it's not moving at all. Any other ideas? I can't go forward without this getting replaced. My old bell housing wasn't true and thus the bearing among other things is hogged out. Any help would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Check out your local mechanics shop drop down a deposit on this set up you will love it. The one i used and is awesome it is a something like a tapered drill bit with a grease fitting on the back. You thread it in to the pilot bearing very firmly and hook your grease gun up to it and pump away...

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Tip I learned from JohnZ a while back. Really simple and easy :thumbsup:

Easiest, least-messy removal method is to run a 5/8" NC tap through the bushing, then install a 5/8" NC bolt, and keep turning it when it bottoms out in the back of the crank - bushing will pop right out. No grease, no chisels, no mess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
get a bigger hammer! if no grease is squirting out you have a good seal. i used a 2# hammer and drove 1/2 socket extension into the pilot bush and it moved right out. i had to grind a little of the ridge off the extension until it fit perfect. skip, that is a neat tool never saw one but i will have one when i do the next pilot bushing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Something I have used in the past with success it to find a piece of steel shaft that fits into the pilot bushing very closely. You fill the pilot bushing ID with grease, insert the shaft and give the shaft a few good raps with a hammer and the bushing should come out. If too much grease pushes out around the shaft then wrap it with some electrical tape to close up the gap and try it again. same principle as the tool mention by Skeeter55 but free if you have or can come up with a piece of round bar.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How about a slide hammer and with a hook attachment at the end. This works really good.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Tip I learned from JohnZ a while back. Really simple and easy :thumbsup:
What I have seen as a fail safe jack bolt to pop this out , Be sure and go back with a good GM all bronze bushing, Think Federal Mogul makes them too under PB-656-HD. The one thats in there probably contains too much iron and rusted in place.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why didn't someone just tell me that my air chisle would blow that thing to pieces???????? LOL

I started getting desperate and walking around my garage. Thinking it was brass, I thought the air chisle might blow right through it and it did. No damage to crank. Old one out and new one in.

Just want to thank you all for the suggestions. I would have tried EVERY idea if I had that stuff. Just had to make due with what I had in the garage. Now I can move forward. Thanks again guys!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
That would make sense except that thing is hogged out and I don't think I have a tap or bolt big enough. Parts houses are closed and I gotta "get er done"!!! lol
Do you have a tapered bolt that you could force/strip in the bushing but drill a hole in the center first and tap a small hole for a Zerk fitting and use your grease gun... This should work.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Did you also check to make sure the one you installed is bronze and not the steel ones that most places sell now. Might save your input shaft down the road.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah sure Ron........you also probably tell what the quarterback did all wrong Monday morning too huh?? LOL

Remember this??......"cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger"....SNL

Goes to show you how old I am.

I have to go to the dentist tomorrow to get the fillings reset that the air chisle knocked loose!! That sucker shook the pee out of me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts