Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this was discussed in a couple posts last year when the USA made trunk lids first came out but only a couple people had experience with them. How about now? Anyone like to comment on the quality compared to the much cheaper foreign lids. Are they worth the extra $$?

·
Registered
827 Posts
the only thing i worry about is lack of dipped primmer, i believe they come in bare steel. the oer deck lid fits verry good and it's about $100.00. but that just one mans opinion.

·
Registered
633 Posts
ooh good topic, I need to look at a deck lid soon also. On that note, is the OE spoiler steel or fiberglass? or a mix?

I have only found the foreign repop deck lids for prety cheap, where can I check out the American ones you're talking about?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Goodmark lid fit well here too. The OER spoiler also fit fine. I believe the spoiler is hard plastic or fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ooh good topic, I need to look at a deck lid soon also. On that note, is the OE spoiler steel or fiberglass? or a mix?

I have only found the foreign repop deck lids for prety cheap, where can I check out the American ones you're talking about?

Thanks!

The USA made lids can be found at several parts dealers. Rick's has them listed for about $430 without the spoiler.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the first design vs the second design for the 67 trunk lids? What is the difference and do the OER lids come in both designs?

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
How many companies actually make the reproduction decklids for these cars?

Goodmark is a 100% reseller, they have a few parts made only for them, but everything else is the same metal you buy from other companies, in a different box :D
Yup.....Acting stupid (not difficult) I called Goodmark and I picked thier brain about their parts. He was reluctant to tell me where they get their parts from but said Golden Legion is one of the major suppliers. My Goodmark dealer tels me they are mostly Golden Legion. I had Golden legion on a box with a Goodmark sticker on it. Also had a Goodmark box with Dii or something like that on it. I think that may be Dynacorn.

Still..my decklid fit well. Its a crap shoot but I guess I got somewhat lucky.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
We sell the US and Dynacorn made trunk lids at Camaro Specialties. The primary difference on the lids is the detail on the underside. The welds are more factory like, and I think there may be some other little thing that I am unsure of that make them stand out.

As far are sheet metal producers, there are only two primary sources that we get after market sheet metal from. That is Golden Legion and Dynacorn (DII). There is somebody else who has been producing the early 67 convertible 1/4 panels with the hour glass stamping in the door jam, and that is about it. Goodmark is a retailer such as Rick's, Camaro Specialties, as well as many other shops out there selling the same stuff.

If you have any trouble getting a trunk lid to fit properly, let me know and i can give you a couple tips as I have seen quite a few different scenarios.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just if anyone is interested - I just bought an SS Dynacorn hood (made by Golden Legion) from American Restoration Parts and it fit better than the OEM hood. New sheet metal is a crap shoot and it was a tad bit thinner gauge but for the most part it was great. They are also running some special with free shipping - couldn't beat that with a stick!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UpDate. I bought a Goodmark trunk lid from Rick's and put it on last night. The quality was very good and it fit nicely. It only needed a couple shims on the driver's side to match the height of the quarter panel. The passenger side was perfect. I am glad I didn't spend the extra $$ for the USA made lid. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
UpDate. I bought a Goodmark trunk lid from Rick's and put it on last night. The quality was very good and it fit nicely. It only needed a couple shims on the driver's side to match the height of the quarter panel. The passenger side was perfect. I am glad I didn't spend the extra $$ for the USA made lid. Thanks for your help.
Great news ! Post pics

1 - 17 of 17 Posts