Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard on the local new's today that a home wrench got killed working under his car at home today.I have been guilty of sliding under the car with a floor jack in the past.Be carefull.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Agreed... Last year when I was working on my car, I had it up in the air on four stands when I had inadvertantly kicked one of them. Down came the slider of the stand, and the car precariously teetered on the remaining three. Not something that I want to ever happen to me again.. If I was a cat I just used one of my nine lives there.. now I use 6 stands and a jack or two.. cant hurt to be too safe.. And when I get it up on the stands I shake the hell out of it. I would much rather see it come down then than with me under it.

------------------
-----------------
67 Camaro
84 Z28
89 Camaro
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/[email protected]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats always the first thing I do after I put it up on stands- shake it to make sure it's set. I've had a car fall with me under it- talk about ruining shorts!

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73- long term project
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88- bottle fed Pete's Nova Page
69 Firebird 400 ragtop- all original

·
Registered
195 Posts
Be careful where you put the jackstands! I nearly bit it once when I had a jackstand under the lower-A arm on the front and it slid inward and down. Yikes!

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I also use a jack as a second line of defense to the jack stands. When I was a teen, a friend was killed when a jack gave out. Jack stands are cheap insurance.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

·
Registered
205 Posts
also make sure the stands are securly on the frame, and not on the suspension.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here, here. I just did some minor suspension work and lowered my right rotor onto the ground my accident. Scared the crap out of me. I immediately thought, I am sure glad my boy (or my wife) weren't around to see that stupid move.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
I use the jack stands and the jack located nearby if possible. I also normally place the removed tire under the rocker panel area just in case. Take care you all and remember that all those kind of accidents can be prevented if you take a minute or two to think about the end results of such an event...

·
Registered
121 Posts
the FEAR factor of these posts reminded me of another scary situation that happened to me and my father. We were welding on the oil pan (small leak) and some gas fumes from the crank case ignited blowing off the oil cap into the closed hood. I never saw my father move so fast out from under the car! He thought it was coming down on top of him! well we piped in some non-flamanbles and finished the job, but not after some really good adrenaline...

Murphy is always in the shop...just waiting...

stay safe

·
15,370 Posts
I've always stuck the removed tire/wheel under the car somewhere like Orench does also, even if I'm not getting under it! And I have a pile of 4x4 and 2x4's just for shoring up the car if I'm under it. Our auto shop teacher was grossly disfigured when a car fell on his face because he wasn't jacking it right.
Remember to shake the sh*t out of the car if it's up on jack stands!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Indeed, non-collapsable materials are preferred in my under-car scene. For example, railroad ties banded together in various heights will make for a foolproof stand. Use the wood to give you the security, and a short jack stand to give you the needed lift on the narrow parts. That way, if the car does fall, it lands on an 8x8 instead of your melon!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
i once saw a guy on tv trying to get a part of a car on a junkyard.

he kicked the jackstand from under the car by accident and the front brake-disc came down on his leg.

leg was cut off! he died later in hospital.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts