Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for my last post I was able to get the right used BCM on ebay. Now the only problem is that I don't have the right VATS chip in my key. I know they make an Interrogator that will read the Ohms your key puts out and the Ohms your BCM needs. I really don't feel like buying an Interrogator for $150 or buying all 15 keys and play the guess what key starts this new car game (which might be a good game show). Does anyone out there know of anyway I can find out the Ohms my BCM is looking for...or even a way to reset the BCM? Thanks for your help guys!

P.S. It's a 1997 Camaro RS V6....No V6 jokes

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I know they used to (and may still do so) sell a kit with the 15 different resistors in a package for bypassing the VATS systems for remote starting systems. I don't know what the values are but you could disconnect the 2 wires that go to the tumber and rig up a jumper setup to where you can try each of the 15 different resistors and see what happens. I believe there is also a protection device in the BCM to where if you have the wrong value, you have to wait for a period of time before trying the next one. I "think" it was a minute between each try but I would check and also see if after the 4th or 5th one the BCM doesn't make you wait 5 minutes or more before the next try. Some systems go into added layers of security to where the more wrong things you try the longer the wait period becomes.
When I do the bypass I measure the factory key and you can get by with the small wattage resistors from places like radio shack. I think too you can have a variable from the factory resistance of about 5% to 10% and is still recognizes them as the right value.
Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I upgraded my 2002 V6 Camaro with power door locks & windows I needed to crack the Vats code for the BCM I bought. (I bought one off of Ebay also) I bought the set of resistors that SOA-Nova mentioned from this place http://www.autotechs.com/items/item1300.htm The kit included all 15 resistors. I used the trial and error method and had to wait about 10 minutes between attempts. Once I found the right resistance I went to Ace hardware to have the key cut. Do a Google search for "Vats Bypass" you'll find tons of info....Jb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts