Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I've been snooping around looking for a good, active first gen Camaro forum. I think I found the right one.

Intro/background;

When I was a Junior in High School ('88), the '72 Nova my dad and I fixed up was hit and totaled. I took that insurance money and picked up a rough '68 RS 327 Camaro. It was up and running shortly after HS graduation in 1989.

There were a lot of miles put on that car. A lot of drag racing at the local strip (and dark empty streets west of Salt Lake City).

Soon life took over. I parked the Camaro when I got a "real" job and while I put myself through college. Then I got married, had a couple kids (now 9 and 11). The entire time, the Camaro has sat patiently in the garage, gathering dust.

I started my own company about 2 years ago and good things seem to be starting to happen. I might have a little cash to put into the car and get 'er back on the road in the near future. Plus, it's time to introduce my 11 year old boy to a car that is fun to work on.

It's a '68 RS, came with a 327 and factory A/C. Although it had a Pontiac V8 in it when I picked it up. We put in a warmed over 350. Nothing fancy, streetable. My pops is a Mopar guy. He had a Chrysler 8.75" 3.91 posi rear end laying around. So we replaced the Chevy rear axle with that. With a rebuilt / shift-kit TH350 transmission, the 3.91's aren't exactly freeway friendly. But I remember it would really throw you back in the seat off the line pretty good. Back in those days, running high 13's /low 14's at altitude (5000 feet) was good. Yes, a lot has changed.

Immediate plans;
  • Put the A/C back in. I'm newer to the 40 years old thing, but A/C sounds way better now than it did when I was 19.
  • Get the vacuum headlights working. When I was 19, getting out at dusk to open the covers was no big deal. Again, in the early 40's, that doesn't have the same appeal.
  • Bigger/dual electric fans. It tends to run warm while going slow.
  • Serpentine belt/pulleys (since I have to fit the A/C compressor in anyway).
  • Take care of a few missing trim pieces.
  • Lower the rear-end a bit. At the time, it was cool to have the back end up there.
  • Re-do the front control arms.

Plenty of other things like an overdrive 4-speed transmission, but this is a start which won't break the bank immediately.

Anyway, it's good to be here. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest and greatest is in first gen Camaro's!

-Oz

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Welcome aboard Oz. Correct year and great story. Glad you kept the car although life got in the way. Best of luck and enjoy the journey.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,354 Posts
Hi Oz,
Welcome to Team Camaro. What an astonishing story. I have my 68 forever too. Good Luck on your project. Please keep us updated with photos.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Welcome to TC officially and I'm sure the 68 will appreciate the attention after all these years. Post some photos and don't forget to start a build thread when you have at it to track your progress.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Welcome, Oz
Correct year as said. Yes, she will make a good Father/Son project.
Keep a logbook of parts bought and any changes anywhere they are made.
As you see, we do tend to forget, logbook will become invaluable.
Too late to warn you about being asked for pictures, you've been gigged already.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Sounds like a nice project, a car with great memories.

I am curious about how the Pontiac V8 fit in there with a Chevy small block AC suitcase? The Pontiac blocks are about the same size as the big block Chevy's and they won't fit with the small block AC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome!

Pictures for sure on this next chapter. The first go 'round with this car, I took a few pictures. I'll scan 'em and create a posthumous build thread, just for fun.

Keep a logbook of parts bought and any changes anywhere they are made.
That's a brilliant suggestion.

I am curious about how the Pontiac V8 fit in there with a Chevy small block AC suitcase? The Pontiac blocks are about the same size as the big block Chevy's and they won't fit with the small block AC.
Gotta be honest... I never even turned the Pontiac engine on. The moment I owned it, we had that engine pulled out. The only thing I remember is there were a lot of ugly brackets holding stuff on there, including the compressor. Some of the brackets looked, uh... suspect?

And of course there was an adapter plate to the TH350. They guy I bought it from was a Pontiac guy and bought the engine and adapter plate from me. he seemed to think that engine / adapter (and likely brackets) were pretty valuable. And they probably were, to him. I assume he put that engine into another poor Chevy elsewhere. That's an interesting insight on the fit, I didn't know. There weren't any unusual firewall/frame mods that I recall. I might run into Dennis again. I'll have to ask him about it. Now you've got me curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts