Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is all required to put a V8 into a '94 that has a V6 in it now? Is the computer and wiring all the same? Suspension? Exhaust? A friend of my son wants me to look for a V8 for him but I thought I would ask first what it all would take to do the swap. Any special motors to look for from a junk yard?

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
Ted - the practical advice is sell the V6 car and put the money toward a V8 car, you'll be money ahead this way. An LT1 out of a '93 - '97 Camaro would be the easiest retrofit but you need everything from cooling system, engine, trans and computer to get started. My understanding is the engine cradle (like a sub-frame) is different from the 6cyl to the 8. It's not going to be like yanking the inline 6 out of a 1st gen, changing the mounts and dropping in a small block...

By the time you finish funding this swap you could have sold the '94 and bought a decent '98 Z28 with an LS1 and made the 1st installment on insurance...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you DjD for the heads up. I will let him know. I did not know what all would be involved. Thought I would ask before he got to exicted about swapping out engines. Besides he is just a year out of high school and I'm sure he doesn't have tons of $.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yep, he would be money ahead to sell the V6 car and buy a Z28.
Dennis, you are correct. The K-members are different between the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ted - the practical advice is sell the V6 car and put the money toward a V8 car, you'll be money ahead this way. An LT1 out of a '93 - '97 Camaro would be the easiest retrofit but you need everything from cooling system, engine, trans and computer to get started. My understanding is the engine cradle (like a sub-frame) is different from the 6cyl to the 8. It's not going to be like yanking the inline 6 out of a 1st gen, changing the mounts and dropping in a small block...

By the time you finish funding this swap you could have sold the '94 and bought a decent '98 Z28 with an LS1 and made the 1st installment on insurance...
yup.. not to mention changing the springs, dash gauges, driveshaft, exhaust, fuel system (you might be able to get away without doing that though)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I 2nd buying a complete V8 4th gen VS replacing a 6 with an 8. I've had 3 4th gens (96 Z28 Vert and 98 and 2002 Z28) and even changing between the LT1 and LS1 isn't worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
done it. i got a z hit in the rear and swaped it over, alot of work had to swap everything but not that hard took about two 8 hour days with lift, nothing is the same you need a whole parts car . cheaper to just buy one that has a 8 in it but this v6 body had 60 grand in custom body and airbags and all that crap on it for the guy to start over

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing swaping out the V6 for a V8. But after this i am reconsidering doing that. Someone told me that a 350 would fit right in place because the mounting brakets are the same and stuff. of course you have to redo the exoughst(sp)
Was i lied to or what?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing swaping out the V6 for a V8. But after this i am reconsidering doing that. Someone told me that a 350 would fit right in place because the mounting brakets are the same and stuff. of course you have to redo the exoughst(sp)
Was i lied to or what?
yes, they will not fit on the v6 and ls1 k member, but they might be able to be used with the lt1 style, im not 100% sure

·
Registered
17 Posts
What should i do now. There has to be another way to improve the performance in my V6 I love my are to much to sell to buy a V8. And at the same time i hate having so little power.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm if it a 3.4 nothing look for 93-97 camaro z28 you can buy cheep that runs good but looks like hell swap it over like i said cheaper to buy a v8 car but there is a way to put a v8 in it look on ebay or a place like that for a whole running car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not all necessarily true. I have a 94 Camaro that came with the 3.4 SFI and i put a 350 LT1 in it and the only thing i had to change was the gauge cluster and relocate the motor mounts and put struts from a z28 in. granted normally wiring would've been needed to but my lt1 came with the wiring harness. All works fine.

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
Not all necessarily true. I have a 94 Camaro that came with the 3.4 SFI and i put a 350 LT1 in it and the only thing i had to change was the gauge cluster and relocate the motor mounts and put struts from a z28 in. granted normally wiring would've been needed to but my lt1 came with the wiring harness. All works fine.
Reviving a 6 year old thread? Nobody said it couldn't be done but if you had to pay someone to do what you did the cost would have far exceeded what a '94 Z would be! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts