Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I think that is a piece of sculpture. I have thought about doing just that after I win the lottery to build a super sized big block with bigger bore centers and higher cam tunnel for a few more cubes.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
523 Posts
Those machining centers are amazing.I used to run a 3-axis machine.I'm not a machinist but there was no one else,so I ran it.It used what was called "conversational" programming so I didn't have to know code,just tell it what I wanted it to do.My hat's off to the programmer that did that engine block.I can't tell you how many times I would program that machine and set it up to run overnight only to find a broken cutter,a mangled lump of stock where I had hoped to find a finished part and coolant from one end of the shop to the other when I came back in the morning.That thing could be some frustrating!! That video makes my Bridgeport look like a boat anchor.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Dave,

I think you can now buy blocks w/ 5.2" bore centers..

And the old 500" type Cad. and 352" Packards are 5"..

pdq67

·
Registered
142 Posts
Come on Powerball Lotto!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I'm not astute enough about engine block manufacturing to conclude whether this was merely a demo or intended to be operational. I wonder about cooling jackets and the camshaft bore among other things. Definitely not mass production.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I'm almost positive that billet aluminum blocks are out there that aren't water cooled except for the heads....

Heck, they ONLY run a quarter mile at a time so are fine!!

he, He!!

pdq67

·
10,158 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts