Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,yeah I know this is a Camaro site,my 69 Camaro is just fine and sleeping for now.My Vega stalls when I put it in gear.Runs fine in Park,vacuum is only 12-13 inches,12 degrees initial timing,vacuum advance is working,STOCK Motor,STOCK trans and STOCK convertor.Cant recall EVER having this trouble ever before with ANY car Ive ever owned.Anybody know what the problem could be?EVERETT?HELP.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
If STOCK engine, then vacuum gauge should read min of 17 in/Hg.
While engine is running, you might spray something, maybe WD40 about the bottom of carb, and about manifold to head junctions, and listen for a change of vacuum/RPM. If this change happens, then you have found the leak.

You also might adjust initial timing and set for highest vacuum. Then reset initial timing back to where it was originally as sometimes timing is WAY FAR advanced and engine will kick back against starter when trying to start a hot engine.

Experiment, try other ideas and view results.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Stock V8 in a Vega? That is the only one have ever heard of. I had to put my V8 in a 71. Monza maybe.
Now, what V8 engine, transmission combo do you have. What is the ignition and the carburetor? You will probably get more help if you give more info.

Just trying to help

Ron

·
Registered
Mike
447 Posts
When was the last time the engine in the Vega ran decently (did not stall) when placing the transmission in gear?
Have you made any changes to anything since then?

Add... how old is the gas in the tank?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When was the last time the engine in the Vega ran decently (did not stall) when placing the transmission in gear?
Have you made any changes to anything since then?

Add... how old is the gas in the tank?
This is the closest Ive gotten to finishing my Vega in the 16 years Ive had it..Lots of NASTY things going on in all this/that time.STOCK 350 motor,STOCK 350 Turbo trans,Stock convertor,1850 Holley,STOCK GM points distributor,fresh gas,12 degrees INITIAL advance,Vacuum advance is functional.Engine fires right up,idles fine,responds to throttle/revving fine,BUT every time I put it in gear-STALLS,unless I power-brake the car to keep it running.NEVER had trouble like this in 46 years of playing with cars.Want Vega gone.I have 4 other cars to sell also.Dont know what else I can tell anybody.May change carb since idle mixture screws dont exactly respond to my liking.I will try EVERYTHING I can imagine and see what happens.Thanks everybody for your interest.

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
474 Posts
how much transition slot is showing in carb base? might need to close throttle blades on carb with curb idle screw to square up slot, increase initial timing to 15-18* to bring idle speed where it should be. mixture screws should respond better and i bet it wont stall when going into gear

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greetings all,Im embarrassed to say that the trans/conv is fine.ALL the trouble is coming from the 9" Ford rearend in the car.The BRAKES keep locking up and keeping the car from moving in either direction.I may have to replace the entire center section.I take off the wheels/tires and everything spins.SOMETIMES when I tighten just the drums to the axles everything FREEZES up again.The 9" is not a POSI but when I turn the axles clockwise,they bind up,going counterclockwise-same thing.I took the drums off and binding occurs still in both directions.Anybody ever just have their center section just stop functioning in the same way?Could I have the bearing retainers too tight?What say yee?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts