Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vintage Air aluminum fittings have an O ring. I know that I need to oil it with the kit's supplied oil.

Do the fittings have a mechanical stop? I am do not want to crush the O ring.

Should I lubricate the threads with oil or Never Seize? I am afraid the aluminum will gall the threads as I torque the fittings.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
The stop is when the two fittings make metal to metal contact. You can see the o ring has a seat and will be fully into the male fitting when properly seated. It will not get pinched. Fully tighten the fittings. No need for antisieze. Don’t overthink this Patrick. :grin2:

Don

Reactions: 350sshugger

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Exactly what Don said Patrick. Don't get anything besides PAG oil near your AC system. Anti seize or any other thread products run the risk of contaminating the system and ending up in the compressor which is a bad thing. In my GM ASEP days they would slap your hand if you laid the hose ends on a previously used rag.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
As Matt Don suggested, use the compressor oil for thread lube. Snug the fitting, don't overtighten.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I will leave my Never Sieze on the shelf.

At this point, my fittings are only finger tight. One of the bulkhead fittings threads are a little rough causing the nut to be a difficult to tighten. I have extra O ring oil which is probably the same as compressor oil. Would a drop or two on the threads hurt anything?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Ok, I will leave my Never Sieze on the shelf.

At this point, my fittings are only finger tight. One of the bulkhead fittings threads are a little rough causing the nut to be a difficult to tighten. I have extra O ring oil which is probably the same as compressor oil. Would a drop or two on the threads hurt anything?

Thanks for the advice.
That would be fine imho.

Don

Reactions: 350sshugger
1 - 6 of 6 Posts