Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing my VA unit and body work and paint, with a smoothed firewall. In mounting it according to the VA instructions there are two brackets. The rear one mounts up to the inner cowl. The front through an existing hole through the firewall. But I would like to have a smoothed firewall. Even the way it is mounted presently seems not very sturdy. My hoses will be run through the old fan hole and behind the fender, as I have seen some of your pics out there. My question for those that have mounted their VA unit and are running the hoses through the fan opening and have a smoothed firewall is. Did you make any other mounting brackets for the evaporator? What did you do to achieve a smooth wall without bolts going through it? Oh, also what did you do to achieve sealing off the kickpanel area to keep the water runoff from getting inside?

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Here is how I mounted the Gen II in my buddies car. We used the DSE bracket for the smooth firewall. You will see it wraps around the back and mounts to 3 existing brackets under the dash. 2 on the left side. 1 on the top right side.

The lower left side was removed because of the Marquez dash. I made 2 flat bar brackets that attached to the 2 bolts you see in the front and the bracket goes up to the cowl panel and bolts to it. Then I used dum dum to seal around the bolt head and washer so water wont get in the car.

DSE bracket

Left 2 mounting points

Here is the 2 brackets I made.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, after you mounted it up with your brackets you made. Did it seem sturdy then? So that it wouldn't flop around when you hit a bump. The Gen II and Gen IV units are different looking and mount up different also.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have a Gen IV unit installed with a smooth firewall and it seems pretty sturdy. Also remember once you get you a/c and heater hose lines the additional weight will help keep everything in place.

For the the bracket that attaches to the firewall I used a j-nut on the the existing firewall, before smoothing it, and screwed the bolt into it, then later smoothed the firewall. This way I do not have a bolt going through the smoothed firewall.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98442&page=2 go to post #44 for some pics

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Mike, after you mounted it up with your brackets you made. Did it seem sturdy then? So that it wouldn't flop around when you hit a bump. The Gen II and Gen IV units are different looking and mount up different also.
Once I had the 2 brackets on it, it was real sturdy. I wish I knew how a GenIV mounted but I have never seen one.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I had the 2 brackets on it, it was real sturdy. I wish I knew how a GenIV mounted but I have never seen one.
The GenIV has 2 brackets. The rear one is a wider bracket and mounts with 2 sheetmetal screws to the inner cowl. The front bracket is smaller and mounts using a bolt that sticks through an existing hole in the firewall from the original a/c suitcase. So if you would want a smooth firewall you have a bolt sticking out through the firewall.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question for those that ran their hoses through the kick panel and out the fan hole. What did you do to the kick panel to prevent water from following down the hoses and into the cabin? Water comes down from the cowl area. Any pics of that finished area?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Rocketrod, did you use a DSE firewall panel? Is the j-nut behind the panel?
Yes the j-nut is behind the filler plate and attached to the original firewall. I use the filler plate from Mik'e s Custom Cars, which contained a raised step to give it the look that it has a seam in the firewall. Click the link in my signature and it will take you to the thread that has pics and additional details.

The GenIV has 2 brackets. The rear one is a wider bracket and mounts with 2 sheetmetal screws to the inner cowl. The front bracket is smaller and mounts using a bolt that sticks through an existing hole in the firewall from the original a/c suitcase. So if you would want a smooth firewall you have a bolt sticking out through the firewall.
No you do not have to have a bolt sticking through the firewall...

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
when i installed my genIV i made up tap pads, welded the lower one to the firewall, and welded the upper one to the inside cowl, worked great and easy to keep the firewall smooth

thanks tom

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when i installed my genIV i made up tap pads, welded the lower one to the firewall, and welded the upper one to the inside cowl, worked great and easy to keep the firewall smooth

thanks tom
What do you mean by tap pads? Any pics?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts