Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 in which I will be installing a VA Gen IV unit. My hoses will run up through the old fan hole and be hidden behind the fender. What have you guys that have done this before. Do to seal off around the kick panel where the hoses will go through to keep water from coming into the passenger compartment. Any finished pictures of the hoses running through the kick panel that you can share?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I did not run my hoses thru there, but I think they make a cover for the blower holes that has a provision for the hoses. I dont think you will get a lot of water thru there- the inner fender should shield most of it, and the fender itself pretty much covers the rest. Still want a good seal of course, but I would be more concerned at keeping engine heat out than water. Have you checked with VA or their website at all? Also, do a search on lateral G or pro-touring sites- i remember seeing a few ways guys have done this. Frank at Prodigy Customs could also help get you set up.
Scott

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I purchased a Vintage Air bulkhead, cut a piece of sheet metal the same diameter as blower hole and welded the hole shut. Drilled four holes for the bulkhead, I cut a oval hole above the passenger kick panel inside and lined the oval hole edge with door bumper edging from a local parts store. I don’t plan on driving my Camaro in the rain, but I’m still going to seal both sides of the hole with 3M black calk.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rtee, I have done roughly the same in that I have the four holes for the hoses cut out in the firewall. And will be using the rubber grommets for around the hoses that I got from Frank. So it's not the water coming through that area that I am thinking of. But the water that drains down from the front cowl onto the hoses and follow them into the passenger compartment. I don't normally drive when it's raining. But have been out when it starts to rain. But I don't let that stop me either. So your saying your kick panel will butt up underneath where your hoses are now? Without any mods to the panel.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
No, you still will need to notch the top back corner of the kick panel to clear the hose. It’s something you won’t see when you’re sitting in the car. As far as the kick panel Air vents opening, I just ordered the Screamin’ Performance Kick panels and block out cans to seal the Air vents on my 68. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I purchased a Vintage Air bulkhead, cut a piece of sheet metal the same diameter as blower hole and welded the hole shut. Drilled four holes for the bulkhead, I cut a oval hole above the passenger kick panel inside and lined the oval hole edge with door bumper edging from a local parts store. I don’t plan on driving my Camaro in the rain, but I’m still going to seal both sides of the hole with 3M black calk.

Just a suggestion on the control valve for the heater. I mount them inside the car so they will be easier to change. You will have fun changing it if it goes bad with your fender in place. And your wires / terminations will be inside the car.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, what if the heater control valve inside the car goes bad. Is there a chance that it could leak inside the car and all over the carpet?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
That heater valve gets smoking hot with the a/c on. It is elec energized closed with the a/c on. I would be careful if it was inside the car.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Mike, what if the heater control valve inside the car goes bad. Is there a chance that it could leak inside the car and all over the carpet?
I mount mine inside the tulip panel on the backside of the kick panel. It is not inside the interior compartment so if it does leak it will drain outside by the fender. Actually the hose inside could go bad and leak.

As far as its smoking "hot", its only as hot as the engine coolant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts