Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Petronix Ignitor, plugs, plug wires, coil, distributor cap, and a rotor cap. We tried to adjust the timing because it would drag some when started and was pinging. We noticed that the vacuum canister has a leak so I need to get a new one. How much effect would a leaking vacuum canister have on adjusting the timing? Can I only buy this at a Camaro part place?
Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to ask but can someone tell what has to be removed to remove the vacuum canister? Maybe just the distributor cap and rotor cap?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a new canister so hopefully I'll answer my post after I get the new one installed.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I ordered a new canister so hopefully I'll answer my post after I get the new one installed.
There are two screws that hold the vacuum advance canister to the distributor housing, remove the distributor cap and the rotor to make the job easier. Once the two screws are out, it just takes movement in the correct direction and amount for the advance rod to release from the points and condenser plate. Installation is the reverse of removal. Just make sure you have the correct vacuum advance canister for your application, they all look the same on the outside, but activate at different vacuum levels and travel different advance amounts.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Yeah a friend of mine said the same thing about it could look the same but the inside could be wrong. I ordered one from Camaro Central and it said it was for a 1969 Camaro Z28 302 so hopefully it will be correct since that's what I have. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
As Scott said above, it's important to use a vacuum canister that matches the vacuum your engine produces. For example, on my 327/275hp stock engine I use a B26 canister with a custom limiter plate that only allows 11 degrees of additional advance rather than the full 16. I would suggest you read JohnZ's articles on timing and vacuum advance (available on camaros.org) and Lars Grimsrud's article on vacuum advance where he lists the specs of each vacuum canister. Both of them help take the mystery out of timing and tuning. Once you understand the timing requirements at idle, cruise, and WOT it becomes a simple (and fun) task to tweak your tuning for the best performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts