Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished an engine swap on my sons '85. The previous owner had all the vacuum lines disconnected. He thought it was a performance upgrade I think.

Everything is reinstalled but the heated doors do not operate at all. I have one thin plastic line that enters the wiring harness behind the passanger side valve cover. Is this the vacuum line for the heater controlls?

I also have a black plastic canister above the brake booster that has a plastic line coming off it and going through the firewall. It only has one line to it, but it looks like ther is a spot for a second line. Would anyone know what the purpose of this canister is for and does it need a supply?

Thanks for any help
Tom

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
The line going into the firewall is the supply line for all the doors/ducting to work for A/C & heat.

The round(?) cannister is the reservior for vacuum system. I would probably hook up the pass line to full time intake vacuum and place a vacuum gauge on the second nipple of the cannister just maybe to see if this line would be continuous.

You could do a couple things, go to the central library and check out their reference books, look at another's car for visual checking, or visit a repair shop having Mitchell Repair CD and ask for a printout of the vacuum system.

If you have a hand vacuum pump, works great, this way you don't have to have the engine running all the time while troubleshooting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. It seems that the canister by the boosters is what runs the heater doors. I still can not figure out what the vacuum line that is inside the wire harness does??

Thanks
Tom

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
If it is purple in color, it might be the supply for vacuum to the heater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts