Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is very broad, but consider this....two identically equipped 1969 SS350 Camaros in EXACTLY the same condition (they are twins! & we'll call them #2 cars).

One car has no documentation & the other has a Protect-o-Plate, original bill of sale, build sheet, etc. How much more is the documented car worth...1,000.00..2,000.00, or more?

Bob

·
Registered
285 Posts
For an SS350, I don't think the premium would be more than a few grand, especially if they were Norwood "x" cars. For a more special car say an RS/SS L-89 diffrence would be considerable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would have to say that unless one is a LA car and one a Nor, why the need for paperwork.I believe that the car is worth what it is representing in originality,quality and options.If both cars are indeed identicle, yet one is an LA car and you have doubt to its originality then you would ask for paperwork.But why would this dictate that you pay more?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Does having all that kind of paperwork really raise the price of the car that much? You'll need to have a safety deposit box in a Swiss bank and insurance from Lloyds of London to protect it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For an X code SS I'd say 1-2k is right. As 70 RS/Z-28 says if it is a much rarer car the value definitely goes up. I paid a premium for my 67 Pace car because it had the original paperwork (dealer invoice, window sticker, finance contract and protecto plate).

------------------
Bill B
67 Pace car
82 Pace car
93 Pace car

[This message has been edited by Billb (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
(Fiance contract) is that something like a prenuptual? Just kidding!!! Documentation is a must if buying a high dollar #s matching car. But then again you could shop ebay and buy vin & firewall tags and title and make a 6 cyl. car a copo if wanted, just to many loop holes (Kinda Scary)

·
Registered
190 Posts
There have been debates right here in this forum on cars up for sale with window stickers as to their originality.I bet you can buy a window sticker, POP, vin and trim tag out there! Is there any feedback as to: Why pay more for a car with papers?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Billb would you not have bought the car if it did not have them, or just not paid as much? And if you would not have paid as much why? Did you doubt the cars originality? Did you think the next buyer from you would doubt you?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Original documentation will increase a car's value. How much depends on the car itself and the options it has. There is repro window stickers and somebody has the p-o-p stamping equipment so you could "buy" some new documentation, but if it looks questionable like that, most people will hesitate and walk away. It appears right now that a 69 Z28 with documentation and matching #'s is worth $5000 more than the same car with no documentation. Next year the difference might be $6000 so always go for the car with the documentation if you can afford it. Majority of the top dollar buyers only buy cars with documentation.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think cars with Doc. are worth more, I will pay more for the car with doc verse a car with out. So many people are cloning cars and selling with out representing them as clones just for the money. To some people Doc. does not mean anything to others it does. If you look at most of the original paper work on cars it is not in perfect shape because years of handling, how many people would have put the original paper work in some kind of sealed container. All the cars I have had with paper work does not look some new reprint. Just my option

·
Registered
316 Posts
To me the more expensive the car, the more research that needs to be done. Paperwork itself is only part of the investigation necesary to prove how original /authentic a car is. Ownership history is a critical element. When speaking with previous owners a wealth of information can be gathered. Again if your spending "all" the money, get "all" the information. Its nice to know that the "matching #" drivetrain, is in fact the original. IMHO

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
shaugs I agree 100% paper documentation is part of it but then again its just paper

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
As was posted earlier, buyers of big-buck cars generally won't pay the big price without documentation - too easy to get burned these days by all the fakes/clones/repops/made-up fakey-doo cars that are being mis-represented out there. I never would have bought mine without documentation, and if I ever sell it, I'm sure any potential buyer would turn around and walk away if I didn't have solid, genuine documentation for it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 14 of 14 Posts