Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bring up the C word, but I need somebody smarter than me for this question.

78 pace car with 90,000 original 1 owner miles. 350/auto, recenlty new brake system (master cylinder to wheels), he does not drive the car much, and it has been sitting in the weather for a couple of years. He has not driven it far (or fast) enough to see if the tranny shifts out over the "last couple years". He wants $8000.

What do you guys think? Should I even go look at it?

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
That is about the NADA price for a low end retail price for that model. Condition is everything on a Vette of that vintage. It will not be cost effective to buy the car, fix it up, and resell it. If you realy like and want to own a pace car, you might want to low ball the seller. You could get lucky.

One important thing to remember is that the 78 Pace Cars were collectors items when sold new and there are MANY that are "still in the wrapper" with extreamly low miles/window stickers/MSO on them. High mileage will force this car to driver status rather than investment grade on that particular model. That might not be a problem for you but you want to know that going into the transaction. The high mileage would be irrelevant on say, a 63 split window coupe but here, it is everything.

I would love to have a 78 Corvette Pace Car driver. Instead I have a low miles red/red '80 L-82 unmolested survivor car that almost never leaves the garage. No real performance to speak of but it does look so sweet as a cruiser. It is a chick type car

-Mark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts