Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi today i put chrome valve covers on my sb.350,,well, tightened 2 bolts too tight and wham,,broke the heads off of them , so now the half of the 2bolts are flush with the head,,any tricks on how to get these out? thanks in advance John

·
Premium Member
19,554 Posts
You could use a Dremel tool with the cut-off wheel and cut a small slot in the bolts and use a screwdriver to back them out. If you bottomed the bolts out and broke them this may not work.

Roger

·
Registered
926 Posts
Try carefully loosenig them by taking a small chisel and tapping counter clockwise. Once you get them going (hopefully) they should just back on out. Valve cover bolts are not supposed to be real tight. How did this happen?

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try carefully loosenig them by taking a small chisel and tapping counter clockwise. Once you get them going (hopefully) they should just back on out. Valve cover bolts are not supposed to be real tight. How did this happen?
Honestly Chuck i just went over them and they snapped on me,,i didnt use brute force lol ,,thats my luck but.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
John; I've had good luck with the ez-out when instructions are followed to a t. If this doesn't work the first try, it turns into a PIA. Others will probaby share their frustrations with these tools; they won't work for older, rusted parts but a clean bolt that was just installed shouldn't give you too much trouble... Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
Like Chuck suggested, I would take a length of round stock, grind the end to a point and carefully tap the broken bolt on the edge CCW to see if it would unscrew.

Once the tension is off, the bolts themselves should unscrew easily as they are a loose fit.

You might visit the dealer and look for a cover stud kit for late '80's engine as it includes a stud, nut, and holddown for about $3 apiece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts