Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Valve Covers Advice w/ pics

My 302 has black powder coated covers with the Chevrolet trim and I can't stand them. Rick's Generation has a sale on alum. covers right now. Part #EP-40 LH and #EP-41 RH. Do you think they would look good? These covers fit all 302 small blocks correct? Please look and give advice.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/tarheeltime/VALVECOVERS.jpg

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes they fit. My opinion is that they are the best looking valve covers you can buy. I have 5 sets ordered now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I almost did what you are thinking about a few months ago. I have had a set of M/T alum valve covers on my engine for as long as I can remember, and they were looking pretty bad. I wanted to order the original finned alum Z/28 valve covers, but balked when I saw the pricetag. I heard about a metal polishing outfit in town so I took my M/T's there to see what they could do. The shop owner got a big smile on his face, told me to come back in 2 days and guaranteed I would be happy with the result. Well, I couldn't believe they were the same valve covers. They shine like glass and really dress up the engine, at a cost much less that what I would have spent for the others. I don't know if this scenario interests you at all, but I'm sure you can pick up M/T's on ebay for not alot of money and have them polished somewhere close by. I'm sure some here may warn you that M/T's leak oil onto their motor as I have heard the same, but I have never had problems with these sealing and have owned them for more than 25 years. If you are interested I can take a picture and post it here, let me know.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Fwiw, there are three different kind of valve covers for our motors.

The real early staggered bolt pattern;

The later, straight bolt pattern; and finally the

Vortec style center bolt pattern.

pdq67

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
tarheeltime said:
My 302 has black powder coated covers with the Chevrolet trim and I can't stand them. Rick's Generation has a sale on alum. covers right now. Part #EP-40 LH and #EP-41 RH. Do you think they would look good? These covers fit all 302 small blocks correct? Please look and give advice.
I think they look great and would like to have a set. As far as them being on sale, it must be long term as that's the price in their printed 2006 catalog. Keep in mind roller rockers may not fit without thick gaskets or spacers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FDYY 37 Those look sweet. I can't remember if the ones from rick's are polished, although I know they are aluminum. I wonder how thick of a gasket to go with? I guess I'll measure what is currenting on now. I'll try to post a picture now.

·
Registered
893 Posts
You better count on having them polished locally.

I don't know what company polishes theses valve covers for GM, but they appear to employee blind, alcoholic monkees with Parkinson's Syndrome.
Seriously, they looked to have had the worst metal polishing job I have ever seen. The ends were over polished to the point of burnishing the metal, there was slag and slop all over both covers, and you can tell an attempt wan't even made at polishing the tops. VERY poor quality.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Markr,

any advice on getting finned alum covers from another supplier? You are refering to Rick's Generation covers, correct?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
tarheeltime said:
Markr,

any advice on getting finned alum covers from another supplier? You are refering to Rick's Generation covers, correct?
I got mine from Classic Industries.
They are the OER ones GM produces (or farms out).
I don't know if the producer had a bad batch or if they are consistently this bad.

·
Registered
440 Posts
These valve covers are still available at your local GM dealer for about $110.00 each. I'll bet when they are discontinued a set will bring $500.00. Everything else skyrockets the minute it is out of stock.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
From what I was told by the suppliers and people here before I bought mine 6 months ago, and from reading the posts above, this may be a case where the repros are better than the originals.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is the casting actually different for each side or is it just that the driver's side has a cap and the other side has an emblem in it?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I'm guessing the casting is not different. I bought 2 the same side, without the oil fill... I ain't pulling one off to check, but dollars to doughnuts there's a punchout cast in under that glued on crossed flag emblem.

Here's mine with the repro covers, I have never polished these, other than a quick wipe with stainless steel polish. Note the reflections of the plug wires...
repro 302 covers

·
Registered
65 Posts
So you just have the emblem on both sides... Yeah, that would work. I'm seriously considering those repros....

Funk, I thought that you were joking around, but then I looked at the picture...
???

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
There are knock outs under the cross flags on one... Left side is for oil cap... Main differance in the factory and repro is the factory did not have drippers which in my mind are more desirable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts