Team Camaro Tech banner

Valve covers

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Bruce1968 
#1 ·
I am currently using the chromes, stamped steel valve covers that came on my BPE 355. They are fine just a bit boring and don’t seal perfectly. I am thinking of going with some cast or fabricated ones to replace them. I can use either center bolt or perimeter. Would a good set of center bolt valve covers seal up better? If anyone has recommendations, I’d like to hear them but I don’t really want to spend $300 on a set. I need them to have grommets for a PCV and breather/oil fill which seems a lot of fabricated covers don’t. Thanks.

#4 ·
#8 ·
Thanks guys. I currently have a chrome air cleaner. My chrome limit is a little higher than SoCal’s so I am probably not going the black out route. But could be a natural aluminum look as well.

Really, my biggest question is what is going to seal the best. Is centerbolt better? Fabricated or cast?

#10 ·
I got a dress up kit to get rid of the chrome covers I have. First photo shows the kit I am not a engine chrome proponent. Nor lots of orange engine parts.

Second photo shows the aluminum covers I would consider, if leaks occur with the new black covers.

#11 ·
I got a dress up kit to get rid of the chrome covers I have. First photo shows the kit I am not a engine chrome proponent. Nor lots of orange engine parts.

Second photo shows the aluminum covers I would consider, if leaks occur with the new black covers.

View attachment 277463

View attachment 277464
I like the bottom covers, I'm sure they're more rigid also, and give a more even clamp force on the gasket compared to the stock type.
I'm not a fan of the OEM style stamped ones on a resto mod type car anyway.
I also don't care for chrome anymore :p I prefer a natural finish or a nice paint job.

#12 ·
Is anyone familiar with these? They don't come with the grommets, but do have the holes, so I assume my grommets will work. The flange looks nice and thick and I think the way they are build would promote rigidity and improve sealing.

#14 ·
Bruce

I assume the chrome VC you got on your BPE were the same ones I got. IMHO they are a good quality. If you don't like those than get whatever ones you do like. Proform (Ones I got) also come in other finishes and are likely a better $. The black ones I got are quite sturdy although I did use the spreaders that came with my BPE chrome ones

Whatever ones you chose I would, and do, use the FelPro "perma dry" (rubber encasing a metal center) VC gasket that I listed in post #7 vs cork

The VC holes should be baffled inside (read don't buy ones that are not). One for PCV and other for breather which doubles as the oil fil. Just fill slowly

#16 ·
Take your pick they even have center bolt ones, I prefer the grey ones #5. They're all in the $200+ range.
I've used cork/ rubber gaskets with no problems, just snug up the bolts & don't crank on them.

#18 · (Edited)
I love my polished finned Holley-script centerbolt valve covers.
Rectangle Tool Wood Kitchen utensil Font

I did not love the interference with the stamped rockers on my ZZ4-350! Had to Dremel .020” in sixteen places on the inside of the covers on the valley side.

Used genuine GM blue rubber gaskets. All good, now.

#20 ·
So, I went with the Hamburger's fabricated and finally got around to putting them on today. The look good but the bolts they supply where to short with the thicker blue gasket with the metal spine. I had to go with 1/4-20X1" flanged bolts from Home Depot. I don't really like allen head anyway which it what they came with. Also, my grommets were a bit loose in the covers so I emailed support and in a week or so they came back and recommended a set from Trans-Dapt which is one of their brands. Looks like they are both under Hedman. I ordered them from Summit so they'll be here in a day or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.