Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought i wood throw this out there, does any one know if there is a valve cover spacer to allow you to put the chevy 7 fin covers on an engine that has roller rockers. i love the resto look but still want the higher lift of 1.6 rockers .thanks

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Somebody in the wonderful world of gaskets makes thick VC gaskets for this reason.

In the past, I've seen some guys use two gaskets bonded together for the extra height.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Yes someone does make thick gaskets for the sbc to use the aluminum factory finned valve covers. I had to use them on my first 69 Z I had back in 1981. I had 1.5 stamped steel rockers and some of them actually hit the radius area of the valve covers and would remove metal from the covers. The thick gasket solved this problem for me. I can not remember who made them, I want to say Mr. Gasket, but I'm not sure. The 1.6 ratio and being roller rockers I don't know if you'll get enough clearance with the thick gasket though.

Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
Felpro makes a gasket that is a little thicker. The standard is 5/32s and the other is a 7/32s thick gasket. Any auto parts place has them. They also make a rubber one, all for SBC's. You can tell the difference by the last letter in the part number.
VS 12869 c - Standard 5/32nds cork
VS 12869 R - Rubber/neoprene
VS 12869 AC - 7/32nds cork
I might be wrong about the numeric number, I dont have my book in front of me. Is 1/16th of an inch enough to clear between the rockers and the valve cover? Hope this helps.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs,
Visit my page!!

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
While we're on the topic can anyone tell me the height difference in short vs tall VCs? I have some cheapos I bought at a swap meet and they seem real close to the heater hose fitting on the firewall. I'm using Crane 1.5 full roller rockers (silver) and I'm wondering if I can get a shorter VC. I think the ones I have measured 3 3/4".

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I found a set of aluminum 1" spacers at a swap meet for $10. I think Jeg's or Summit has them new for $80-90. I was able to then use a cool set of Holley VC.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts