Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does a person go about changing valve guides in a set of 62-69 2.02 64cc gm heads? is machining required?

·
Registered
367 Posts
You will need to pull the heads, so it may be time for a freshening up.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i should have made more reference. yeah after you pull the heads, their settin on the workbench, and its time to jump into it. is there a special tool required? can it be done @ home? i have never done that . ive replaced everything else but valve guides.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
You can't change the valve guides they are part of the head. You can have a shop drill out the guide and install a bronze insert that will act as a new guide.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats kinda what i thought, i was just hoping....do valve guides go bad often? what should i look for in terms of wear? thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found out after two engines that the key to keeping valve guides good, is changing the oil on your car every 3000 miles. And also making sure the oil levels are where they should be. Not enough oil in the oil pan will cause them to go bad especially if you rev up the engine high. Keep these in check and they'll last.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just one more thing.
In the Hot Summer months I like to use straight SAE 40. The heat makes the oil thin out and that's not good. In the winter I use SAE 30. My father who is a mechanic taught me that. He's had his engine in his truck for 13 years and that truck doesn't smoke and runs excellent.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pay the extra and get bronze guides.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts