Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i rebuilt a pair of 461 heads (port work, 64cc 1.94/1.5)) with new springs from Crane, new valves and valve seals.

put them on the 355ci (see signature)

the exhaust gas hurt my eyes so i thought it was running too rich, well it doesnt.
the plugs are all fouled (sooty black).

i pulled the heads and noticed lots of carbon buildup and i noticed all the valve seals are half way or even all the way up the valve stems !!!

the springs have smaller springs inside them, i think that the smaller springs pull up the valve seals!!!

are they the wrong kind of seals? i cant just pull the smaller springs out and drive it that way, can i?

How can i make sure those seals stay down!?!

btw: now i have pulled the heads, i will build them on my new 383 with 10.8-1 , 10.9-1 compression and 216/216 .454/.454 flattapet cam.

will it work, i will use 95 or 98 fuel.

thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Hopefully your valve guide bosses were milled down to correct id for those seals. There are two sizes that I know of , .500 and .530 . You inner spring should have enough id. to clear these, if not, you may have to change springs. You did not say what type of seal you had or part # of spring. Most of these seals have some type of retention band on the body.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so its normal?

after 200 miles everything is covered in a dry, black substance...!?!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried 2 brand new carbs, 750 and 600 edelbrock, the 600is running perfect on a stock 305 so is the 750.

the black stuff is so thick i can scrape it of with my finger nail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts